Custom Map #80: Ongtupqa. By: ThirdParty

Started by AutoPost, January 12, 2014, 03:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThirdParty

Quote from: Helper on January 13, 2014, 09:37:39 AM
Quote from: ThirdParty on January 13, 2014, 09:07:22 AMI gave the second CN because, if something destroys the first one, the player is probably in plenty of trouble even without having to wait 30 seconds to re-land.
And then the land the second CN into the same puddle of Creeper that killed the first one? It seems kinder to just force them to re-start from scratch, or the last save.
During one of my balancing play-throughs, there was an incident where everything was going fine until the wind drove a tiny droplet of creeper under my CN without me noticing.  My defenses were intact, there'd just been a small leak, and I had it cleaned up five seconds after noticing the problem.  I then spent the next twenty-five seconds nervously watching spores fly around and wondering whether my beam network would have enough ammo.

I decided I didn't want that to happen again.  The wind exists mainly to make it harder to drain the east side and to make some of the assaults trickier; it wasn't meant to make stealth assassin droplets.  I changed the shape of the landing pad slightly to create some natural drains, but I also went ahead and allowed a second CN just in case.

Helper

Got it - thanks for the explanation.
I forgot that (as the creator), you've already played through this many times.
H

Cavemaniac

Sooo....

I've never been to the Grand Canyon, but I have been to the Fish River Canyon in Namibia - the largest canyon in Africa.

Like Ongtupqa (or so I imagine - I just told you I've not been there) the scale is jaw dropping.

Now I'm imagining it full of creeper.

Now I'm imagining thrill seekers 'white water' rafting on the creeper.

That's something I'd pay to see...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Godsbrother

And now I'm imagining creeper welling up from holes in the bottom of the boat as if it were floating on some kind of acidic sea.

People moving up around the edges trying not to get touched by the viscous substance.

With a final terminator esque scene of people sinking into the creeper, one skeletal hand coming back up before disappearing forever .

I bet most people don't consider what's actually happening when the creeper overwhelms Odin city.
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

Asbestos

Quote from: ThirdParty on January 13, 2014, 04:45:34 PMstealth assassin droplets
dot tumblr dot com?

The map was really hard. I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go after taking the landing platform and I couldn't get enough weapons up because of the limited space.

Helper

@Asbestos -
I'm in the middle of something, but will post a spoiler for you later.
H

Helper

Not sure if this will help or not.
Taken at 9:05

Helper

Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 21, 2014, 04:18:09 AM
Sooo....
Now I'm imagining thrill seekers 'white water' rafting on the creeper.

Caveman - White water rafting down the Colorado River (go to the rim of the Grand Canyon and drop down one mile) used to be big bidnez. They would put about 12 paying customers in a large raft, give them all paddles, and turn them loose. For the sake of the equipment, they would also put in 3-4 staff members to keep everyone out of trouble.

Did that back in the 80's and it was a significant rush.
H

ThirdParty

Quote from: Helper on January 21, 2014, 12:39:51 PMNot sure if this will help or not.
Interesting.  I tend to operate on much more of a shoe-string budget, while being more aggressive about taking out mini-emitters:

Helper

Quote from: ThirdParty on January 21, 2014, 06:07:45 PM
Quote from: Helper on January 21, 2014, 12:39:51 PMNot sure if this will help or not.
Interesting.  I tend to operate on much more of a shoe-string budget, while being more aggressive about taking out mini-emitters:

Based on comparative scores, you would do better to beef up your power before going after the Emitters. By building a nice core of Reactors, your Nullifier builds go much more quickly.

ThirdParty

Quote from: Helper on January 21, 2014, 07:00:40 PM
Quote from: ThirdParty on January 21, 2014, 06:07:45 PM
Based on comparative scores, you would do better to beef up your power before going after the Emitters. By building a nice core of Reactors, your Nullifier builds go much more quickly.
If I were playing for speed, yeah.  But it's so heartbreaking to have to demolish the reactor farm to make room for titans.