Main Menu

MAC Install

Started by scottandterisa, October 13, 2013, 09:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottandterisa

I am trying to get CW3 to run on my MAC.  I am really a windows guy so maybe I am doing something stupid but I can download and unzip or move the app to the applications folder, but when I try to open it either place nothing happens.

Have I missed something really obvious or are there instructions out there somewhere I need to follow?

Help please

Echo51

What version of mac OS X are you running, along with other specs? Press the apple logo in the top left and go to "about".
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

scottandterisa

Max OS X 10.6.8
Kernel: Darwin 10.8.0
iMac
Intel Core 2 Duo
3.06 GHz
4 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4670

What else?

Echo51

Your Mac should have no issue running the game, so i suspect there's another issue.

You could try checking the unity log which is found in ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

similar issue: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14206.0
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

scottandterisa

I can get to ~/Library/Logs but there is no unity folder.  Do I need to install unity?  What is it?

I tried both the demo and the full version and they behave the same.

Thanks.

knucracker

When you download the mac version, it comes as a simple ZIP file.  You are probably double clicking the zip then noting that 'nothing' happens.  What actually happens (depending on your settings) is that the contents of the zip get extracted to the current dir.  Those contents are the game application bundle.  You can move that bundle or leave it where it is.  But that bundle is what you need to click on to run...

scottandterisa

I unzipped the bundle to a specific directory (tried several) and tried to run it from there.  I also tried dragging that unzipped bundle to the applications folder.  It recognizes the icon and when you click on it sounds like the HD is running for a little while but I get no other response. 

P.S.  I have CW and CW2 on this machine with no issues.

Thanks

knucracker

And you don't have this file?: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

That file gets created whenever the game is run.  Unity is just the name of the game engine (unity3d.com) that I used.  That file should get created as a first order of business before almost anything else happens.  If it is not getting created, then the game isn't even starting.  You could try running from a terminal (a shell) and see if there is some permissions problem or something like that.

scottandterisa

Terisa-Sloans-iMac:cw3 terisasloan$ open cw3.app
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/terisasloan/Desktop/CW3/cw3.app.

I assume the cw3.app is the file I should be trying to open?

Michionlion

"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

scottandterisa

Ok,  here is what made it work - looks awesome so far by the way.

1.  Read the threads in the previous post, looks like the error was related to something wrong with the launcher.

2.  Rebooted again - no difference.

3.  Created a new admin account and re-downloaded and ran - BINGO - it worked first time.

4.  Went back to the original account - It worked - no idea why.  It did ask for the Lic Key again.

Don't know why or how, but it works.

Thanks for the help.

Grauniad

Quote from: scottandterisa on October 15, 2013, 11:00:43 PM

4.  Went back to the original account - It worked - no idea why.  It did ask for the Lic Key again.

The license key is in keydata.dat and that is in the user's local storage.  Glad you got it working.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon