Custom Map #226: The Gauntlet

Started by AutoPost, September 21, 2011, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #226: The Gauntlet

Author: Eudrick

Desc:
Run the gauntlet and and take 'em all out along the way. This map may have a tendency to lag. And to be up front... it's a slogfest. On the other hand, I think the fields will drive you nuts (and no, you can't look at 'em). NB: Best to max ALL the upgrades.

Fisherck

Absolutely amazing use of fields! One of the best I have seen yet. 8) My only suggestions would be to probably tune down the emitters and slow down/tune down the drones too. But amazing nonetheless!
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

eudrick

Thank Ye Kindly Sir.  I did spend about 2 weeks tweaking the fields.  It took me 24 tries to complete the darn thing, as you never know how the NEXT one is going to affect the map until you get there.  Imagine my dismay to finally kill off everything only to discover I had left creeper under undigable terrain I had added AFTER running the creeper simulator.  A word to all map makers:  MAKE SURE you erase all unwanted creeper before attempting to complete your own maps. ;)
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

mopa42

Cool fields and fun map! (but it sure shows me how slow my computer is :))
I think this is the first map that I used the numbered groups to manage units (since I had like 40 blasters and 30 launchers).

dk9146

DethbyIT

@Eudrick,
This was a genuine barn-burner!
Coming over the top and starting back down had me stymied for quite awhile - until I started using all of the tools available.

Definitely one to play again.
Thanks,
dbit

RichieRich

Cool map thanks. The first one where I actively used the crystals to allow greater than 60 power use. I was generating 95 and using it to clear off the line at the bottom  ;D

peter

A fun little slogfest.  Worth the time it took to get the fields right.

Now all I have to do to play this cheap game is spend $1500 on a decent computer to play the damn thing properly!  A time of around 49 minutes, but without pauses closer to 4 hours real time playing.

eudrick

Thanks all for your kind words of encouragement.  Now I hope that my next offering will be as well received (that I didn't set my bar too high as it were).
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

DethbyIT

Quote from: eudrick on September 22, 2011, 08:33:32 PM
Thanks all for your kind words of encouragement.  Now I hope that my next offering will be as well received (that I didn't set my bar too high as it were).

Like the Old Gunny says, "Better to aim too high and miss, than to aim too low and make it."

Thus endeth the lesson for the day.
dbit

Katra

Getting across the top proved to be less of a problem than I feared. Just fired away with launchers (range maxed out) then charged a group of blasters through (move speed maxed too) when the creeper at the top of the top right chamber got down to a level I figured blasters could clear out. Lost a few blasters to drones on the way through but it worked first time.

Once I figured out how to kill off the emitters (had one restart from save point because I aimed a repulsor into one of the emitter alcoves too soon) it was just a matter of moving blasters to intercept drones, move mass numbers of launchers into position to (hopefully) fire just into the particular alcove I was targeting, then nullify and repeat. At the end I was doing two alcoves at a time, with energy over 110.

Very nice.  ;)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!