Custom Map: Pride of The U.S.

Started by AutoPost, February 11, 2011, 02:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Pride of The U.S.

Author: Kharnellius

Desc:
Was having a conversation with a friend about Aircraft Carriers...and inspiration struck!

Kharnellius

This is a mostly "for fun" map.  It was fun trying to balance out the drones and amount of energy provided.  I knew I wanted to do a map where resources were already pretty abundant and all you really had to do was worry about how you use a limited amount of one resource.

In this case, the obvious focus is drones and how best to use them to make up for the lack of blasters and mortars.

Toaster

I guess this map is not for me. There must be a specific way to beat this thing that I don't get. Maybe other folks will have better luck.

Kharnellius

Quote from: Toaster on February 12, 2011, 08:12:34 AM
I guess this map is not for me. There must be a specific way to beat this thing that I don't get. Maybe other folks will have better luck.

It is a bit of a puzzle map.  You need to allocate your blasters, mortar, and drones correctly to retrieve each of the artifacts.

You will only be able to get one at a time.  I'm frankly surprised no one has posted any scores yet.  It's really not that hard of a map...just have to watch your tactics carefully.

Kharnellius

Could the mod change the difficulty on this map to "Hard"?  I guess I didn't rate this map hard enough.  

If people need clues to beat this map...see below spoilers.  
Try the first...then if you are unsuccessful, go to the second spoiler, and so on and so forth, etc.

Spoiler 1)
Spoiler
This map is super difficult if you don't rescue that blaster on the "ship" to the north immediately.
Spoiler
You can reach it with only one relay at the start of the mission
[close]
[close]

Spoiler 2)
Spoiler
Remember, the entire node path does not need to be defended...only the actual relays.  Keep blasters as close to the relays as possible so they don't overextend their defense and waste energy.
[close]

Spoiler 3)
Spoiler
You must keep a steady supply of drones pushing back creeper along the path you are forming to each artifact.  Focus on only one artifact at a time.  
Spoiler
But, do NOT use all the drones at once...stagger their usage so you have continuous coverage.
[close]
[close]

Ben

Loved that map!  Great idea, although it was frustrating when nothing happened when I pressed "6"  :P

I got the two easy artifacts first, with little problem (lost a couple collectors at the front)...but got to focused when I took the top right one and ended up losing the back of my ship (a handful of relays and 4 drones).  Definitely forces you to pay attention to everything, or pay the consequences.

Great work, quite the challenge.