Custom map management suggestions

Started by Karsten75, January 02, 2010, 02:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I have done some of this again, but as the custom maps grow, i feel this gets more important.

1. a link (url) for each map so if we discuss a map we can go to a small page with the download link for that map, showing the map image.

2. On my copy of CW, for downloaded maps. I'd like the divided by campaign and author, not just listed alphabetically by map name.

3. 2 will be handy, because eventually there will be conflicting/overlapping map names.

Thanks for even reading all this stuff.

knucracker

I want to get a search implemented on the maps page (today if I can steal enough time to do it).  The management in the game needs to be better too.... I agree. 

Karsten75

Virgil, your comments function is great, that takes care of the URL for each map, since one can link to the comments URL and see a mini-map and a download link.  You may scratch that URL request off your list of things to do!  ;)

Karsten75

And now I have one more suggestion regarding this.

On the CW screen for Custom Maps, where it shows the score, is there space to also add the time field? I think many of us find it easier to compete based on time rather than score.

Which leads to another interesting thought. What is the formula for calculating score? is it -2 points per second?

Aurzel

knucracker

Ahhh yes... the time and the score are related to each other... but not linearly. 
It will take a really, really, really, really long time to reach zero.

score = 10000 * 3600/(t+3600), where t is in 'seconds'.

At 15 minutes (which is 900 seconds), your score is 8000.
At 1 hour (which is 3600 seconds), your score is 5000.
And down it goes.... as it asymptotically approaches zero.

To get a score of 1 you have to let the game play for over a year.

TheBuilder

If you have your score and you want to get your time here's teh equation in reverse:

(10,000*3,600)/score-3,600=t     t=time in seconds
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Aurzel

why post that when he's already told us how it works?

TheBuilder

cause i was postin how to figure out ur time if u only know ur score
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

rs

I'd love to see the maps to be directly accessible from the game, rather than going through "browse, download, import", while being careful not to import maps multiple times. It would also be great if one could submit map scores.

I imagine this is a ton of work, but if I could wish for just one thing that would be this :)