Custom Map #3883: No Beams. By: BermanPost

Started by AutoPost, August 25, 2016, 12:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #3883: No Beams

Author: BermanPost
Size: 128x84

Desc:
EXPERT ONLY Some maps I make for fun, some I make as hard as possible, but it is possible. Spores coming in fast, no Beams to stop them...

Grimeripe

I believe I got an idea on how to do this. But it will require a lot of saving as a single mistake whipes out all my hard work.

Even so, if I do not get it exactly right, I will have to restart even with a save.

radd

Here's where I am after 20 minutes.

Spoiler
Don't bother with shields. The spores are weak. Cannons clean things up quickly. The only problem is energy...
[close]

coca

Nice challenging map. Something different....
Can get a little annoying if the spores hit the realey 5 times in a row >:(

D0m0nik

Yeah challenging but nicely executed idea. Very original.

My tip, not that it will make it much easier:

Spoiler
Spread your base as much as possible and keep building lots of collectors to reduce the chance of your relays getting hit. I also used one more guppy than Radd but same idea.
[close]

RrR

Different, but related strategy. Would have been much faster if I had started with this.

Spoiler
Got fed up rebuilding collectors. Use guppies to spam the top left island with edge-to-edge PC. Spam PC everywhere (but not too close to relays). They take care of themselves, and distract spores from relays (and PC reactor & collectors)
[close]

GoodMorning

My strategy:
Spoiler

Build a Collector network as normal, leaving maximum gaps. Then fill every possible cell with PCs.

Drop a few in the corners for Guppies, and take the fastest path to the Spores. (2 PZ Relays, linking the mainlands together too.)

Tap your PC supply to clear the Creeper, and swap out PCs as they get low on health.

Once the Spores are down, PZ a few Reactors and a Nullifier there. The rest is a rather dull map.
[close]
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

D0m0nik

I think my brain has stopped working, I have no idea what you mean by PC??!!!

Ovalcircle

[REDACTED]

"If you are good at something, never do it."

GoodMorning

Also, I think that RrR may have meant to type PZ that last time. Also,
Starting position
I started on both islands, though the one with 2CNs was without doubt the more profitable.
[close]
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

BermanPost

Very clever going ultra low energy use.  It was originally designed with the intention that you would have to use shields.  As such, made a new map, and cranked up the difficulty a few more notches where (I don't think) that same clever trick will work.

Shields Up  -> http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21206.msg146335#msg146335

Johnny Haywire

If you're still playing this game and looking for a really good basic challenge, this map is as vanilla as it gets.

My strategy involved no power grid at all other than the CN's until I took the middle two islands. That way you don't have to worry about pausing or saving. Or shields - which imo are the absolute worst module in this or any game I've ever played. Sorry for the harshness but I would rather pull out my big toenail with rusty pliers and stab it deep into my eye... than use shields.

This mission is very smartly done, and can be managed fairly easily if you can be half as smart as the map itself.

Thanks for the map!
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?