Sell the game on a CD?

Started by Karsten75, August 29, 2010, 12:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I guess it is a whole passel  (Yes, it *is* a word.) of trouble, but I was wondering if Virgil has ever considered distributing the game on CD as well? Many popular games (Plants vs Zombies, for instance, offers downloads as well as "backup CDs for an additional charge. It may also make it easier for people to buy the game as a gift for others. Then it may even be possible to sell it in online stores such as Amazon, etc.

Oh yea, and BTW, PvZ just brought out a new release! Awesome!

Sauffaus

mmm... Physical distribution... talk about a step down the digital evolution ladder :)

Naaa... the logistics involved in physical distribution is a can of worms, you just want to open, if you really *know* it is going to pay off bigtime. And that is doubtful.

Kamron3

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 29, 2010, 12:55:00 PM
I guess it is a whole passel  (Yes, it *is* a word.) of trouble, but I was wondering if Virgil has ever considered distributing the game on CD as well? Many popular games (Plants vs Zombies, for instance, offers downloads as well as "backup CDs for an additional charge. It may also make it easier for people to buy the game as a gift for others. Then it may even be possible to sell it in online stores such as Amazon, etc.

Oh yea, and BTW, PvZ just brought out a new release! Awesome!

Unfortunately, they took out the Zombie that looked like MJ and replaced it with a Zombie that doesn't look like MJ

Twi

Cool.

CD seems like a good idea to me.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Shroom Agent 27

That seems like a great idea. Now how are you going to get this out on CD? Donations? A lot of money?

knucracker

I could offer the game on a CD... this is an option (through a partner) that fastspring offers.  But, the cost is pretty high.  Could be as high as an extra $10 (to cover pressing and shipping of the CD to the customer).  At those kind of prices, I figured nobody would get one.  I could also offer an extended download service (I think maybe up to a year).... fastspring also provides this as an option.  But it could cost $5 or so.

Karsten75

Do you get any of that extra money? if so, then perhaps if it is a no-cost option to you you could do it.

I just ordered the PvZ game and I paid the extra $8.00 for the backup CS, but that was just because I wanted to give the game as a gift and it is nicer to give the CD than it is to give just a download link.  :)

Shroom Agent 27

I wouldn't mine paying extra money for CW on a CD. I would like it!  :D

Kamron3

I wouldn't get a CD as I can just upload my copy to my server for free.

_k