Custom Map #255: WW2 Invasion of Japan. By: SuperTerminator

Started by AutoPost, February 25, 2014, 12:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #255: WW2 Invasion of Japan

Author: SuperTerminator
Size: 256x256

Desc:
My first attempt at making a #real map. Fight your way through the creeper siege with your weaponry. #spores #thor #fun #lag

Katra

I didn't see any point to Thor. Nor did the creeper ever threaten any of the island.

All the power deposits make initial building of infrastructure easy -and you're gonna need lots! At one point I was generating 340 energy and running a sizable deficit... By the end I was well over 500 energy.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

SuperTerminator

Thor was kinda unneeded, but by the time I realized that I was deep into beating the finalized level. Any thoughts on redoing that map with some emitters on the edge of the island, or removing the wall?
I tried making CW3 custom maps once upon a time. I kinda failed. My maps were too large/stupidly long/stupidly easy. I think I only ever made one really good map, and its not for people who hate spores. I mean it'd be good shock therapy xD

teknotiss

Quote from: SuperTerminator on February 26, 2014, 08:08:01 AM
Thor was kinda unneeded, but by the time I realized that I was deep into beating the finalized level. Any thoughts on redoing that map with some emitters on the edge of the island, or removing the wall?
removing the wall would prob be a bad idea, perhaps digitalis or earlier, and multi-directional spores for earlier pressure. emitters on the island could be a bit much too, unless they are really weak, which might make them pointless.
i like this map, it is a little sloggy, but that's cos i didn't get aggressive enough at the start.
nice work dude!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

SuperTerminator

I tried making CW3 custom maps once upon a time. I kinda failed. My maps were too large/stupidly long/stupidly easy. I think I only ever made one really good map, and its not for people who hate spores. I mean it'd be good shock therapy xD

burguertime

Honestly, I have to retrieve that quote back from the day of CW1:

"SPAZ rates all of his maps easy because difficulty is a subjective thing"

THAT thing, gentlecreepers, changed the way I saw map difficulties FOREVER. Before reading that eye opener, I was only playing red and oranges, and occasionaly played a SPAZ because of boredom.

How much love and fun I found on the greens and blues. So, the map was fun, there was nay the difficulty the opening dialog said, but fun none the less.

Don't worry redoing it just for the peer pressure, keep the art flowing.

SPAZ to me is the zen master of creeper world.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Grauniad

Quote from: burguertime on February 26, 2014, 07:45:16 PM

"SPAZ rates all of his maps easy because difficulty is a subjective thing"

SPAZ to me is the zen master of creeper world.

I'm sure you mean Sqaz?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Katra on February 26, 2014, 12:41:20 AM
I didn't see any point to Thor. Nor did the creeper ever threaten any of the island.

All the power deposits make initial building of infrastructure easy -and you're gonna need lots! At one point I was generating 340 energy and running a sizable deficit... By the end I was well over 500 energy.

Agreed--I lost a little bit of the island at the start because I built out from one base and the creeper got there before the power.  I quickly retook it, though.  I laid down vast lines of reactors, I never did use up all the initial energy.  It's a slog because air power is pretty much useless but it's no challenge.  I was laying down a line of collectors and then a line of cannons, it was faster to lay a new line than to move the existing ones and I had so much power it didn't matter.

It would have gone faster had I not forgotten to build Berthas until I took out the battleships but it's still no effort.

Siscokid

Way too big just gets boring, hard start but then snooze.