Custom Map #2651: Cylinder 2: Creeper Valley. By: TrickyCorp

Started by AutoPost, December 14, 2021, 10:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2651: Cylinder 2: Creeper Valley

Author: TrickyCorp
Size: 192x120

Karsten75

A few things are clearly contra-indicated, eg. Powering any red cylinder near the onset of the mission, fighting the Anti-creeper, so I'd love to see the recorder video og how this mission is tackled.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Karsten75 on December 14, 2021, 12:00:04 PM
A few things are clearly contra-indicated, eg. Powering any red cylinder near the onset of the mission, fighting the Anti-creeper, so I'd love to see the recorder video of how this mission is tackled.
If I didn't know who you were on the discord server I would call you out for trolling, because at this point I feel like you're just nitpicking. However, because I do know who you are, I'll be assuming you're not trolling in your spare time and actually want a proof that the map is possible.

In fact, I was already planning on putting a guide as I really struggled during this mission, so here you go

How to tackle this mission:
Spoiler

Step 1: Place rift lab on the nice 7x7 square in the crater that's in the center of the map, and apply your 1 ERN to the cylinder in the middle of the crater (optional but speeds up step 2 by a few seconds)

Step 2: Supply the cylinder with energy. It'll get rid of the creeper in the crater rather quickly.

Step 3: Get settled in the crater (factory, miners, towers, snipers, missiles, and ERN portal) and remove the ERN from the cylinder in the crater as well as turning it's supply option off. No point losing ammo to something that doesn't do anything for you. Get a sprayer in the crater just because it's convenient.

Step 3.5: Get the ERN at the North-East using cannons as a small suicide squad to get the energy efficiency upgrade (optional?)

Step 4: Apply an ERN to the south-west cylinder, supply it with with ammo using porters, then build a microrift nearby. Nullifying nearby structures and getting a few snipers out may help against the blobs etc.

Step 5: Once the area is cleared, disarm the cylinder. This causes it to request less ammo, while still holding the creeper at bay. You can also get a bunch of cannons but I'm not sure if that's more energy efficient.

Step 6A: Get refineries going and start building a few rockets and some AC bombers on your newly captured terrain.

Step 7A: Get all other buried ERNs over the map with conversion orbitals, though some AC bombers and a single damper should also work. Didn't think of that yet, heh...

Step 7B: Apply all available ERNs to miners to get a lot more energy production, except for two ERNs.
Those 2 have to be put on Energy Efficiency and Mine production (last one because redon production is barely too low to keep up from 10 minutes in, so possibly optional)

Step 8A: From this point on, just advance with the massive amount of energy available. Getting the East Cylinder supplied with ammo may be useful, but when I played the map, waves just kept washing over it and by the time it stopped it no longer was as helpful to me.

Step 8B: You could also try getting the north-west cylinder freed up using conversion bomb + singularity. Of course, as with any active Cylinder, you want an ERN on it. Always either have an ERN on the cylinder or don't supply it at all.
[close]

If you feel like you still need the recording, I can try getting it, or I could even just put some videos on youtube of me winning the map a 2nd time.

The map is generally kind of a puzzle, so I'm sorry if I screwed up the cylinder description on the map again. I'll get a shorter description ready next time I use it, which will probably be in the different story series.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

Karsten75

Well, I was, kind-of on the right track. Using your guidance I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

Grabz

The cylinders in this one are a lot more useful than in the last one, though it is mainly through necessity. It's pretty fun watching a bunch of creep in a large area just melt down.

My tip to other players here would be to make sure to deactivate (sadly disarm doesn't work) your cylinders until you need them so that they're not siphoning your energy. You can even do optimizations like that when the area around the cylinder is not that safe yet, by letting some creeper flow in before activating. Bigger impact, less energy spent.

Ionizer

Fun map, enjoyed the custom unit. Quite enjoyable to have another way to think about the game.

As already stated, watching creeper melt away is satisfying.  ;D