Custom Map #9736: Mapmaking Tutorial. By: AG

Started by AutoPost, October 25, 2021, 01:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #9736: Mapmaking Tutorial

Author: AG
Size: 128x128

Desc:
A mapmaking tutorial within a #Cursor level. Ultimately based off of a map from Tricky. Please donï¹''t play this map if you wonï¹''t create at least 1 map. Please letï¹' this start a trend of mapmaking tutorials within levels. #SharingIsCaring #SIC Please disgregard this if you feel like.

Johnny Haywire

QuotePlease disgregard this if you feel like.

I didn't pay attention to whatever you wanted me to disregard.

But I did pay attention to how cool this map is! Tricky's game mechanic is a really fun, relaxing, yet potentially challenging aspect of these custom maps. Thanks so much for doing something with it! And the island-hopping design is good thinking - smartly done!

Thanks for the map!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

AG

This actually means a lot to me, thank you!

I now see I worded the description very clumsily; I don't want you to play the map if you won't create one on your own, and I want this to start a trend of mapmaking tutorials within levels, but most importantly, I want you to completely disregard my wants if you don't feel like creating maps.

If everybody starts making maps, the world will shine a little brighter.

TrickyPlayer

Cursor ain't ever used overflow before like this. It's a feature I wanted to introduce at one point though so I'll let it slip :)

Please note that anticreeper in the void DOES count for power purposes even though anticreeper cannot be created there. It's just me being lazy with the script but you could make a map where you capture space for power. Heck, I'm pretty sure I already did that once on a cursor map that used the cursor towers instead of the global one this one uses.

Looks like a cursor map that has quite some strategic stuff going on, maybe even more than some of mine that used the flippers.

Will have to take a look at the map once I get back to CW3 map creation, which is probably not going to take that long as I created most of the stuff I wanted to in CW4 as of now.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

AG

Oh damn, it's Tricky himself. I hope you like what I've done with your scripts, and thanks for making them!

I have a request for a map that I believe would make a huge difference for mapmakers such as myself. I never mess with the scripts because they look complicated, and I don't have the time, but copying and pasting towers and emitters is as easy as pie, so if there was a boilerplate map, with EVERY script and tower, that lazy mapmakers such as myself could use, the barrier to entry would be lowered considerably, allowing more people to generate more quality maps and create new exciting stuff.
I am sure that with more people refining and reworking older ideas, more people will create entirely new game modes and perhaps this community will explode creatively.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: AG on October 30, 2021, 10:48:22 AM
Oh damn, it's Tricky himself. I hope you like what I've done with your scripts, and thanks for making them!

I have a request for a map that I believe would make a huge difference for mapmakers such as myself. I never mess with the scripts because they look complicated, and I don't have the time, but copying and pasting towers and emitters is as easy as pie, so if there was a boilerplate map, with EVERY script and tower, that lazy mapmakers such as myself could use, the barrier to entry would be lowered considerably, allowing more people to generate more quality maps and create new exciting stuff.
I am sure that with more people refining and reworking older ideas, more people will create entirely new game modes and perhaps this community will explode creatively.
You mean, a map with one of every existing unit on it exactly once? Kinda like a template?

Might do that for cursor maps.
Will put a message pod next to each structure explaining what it's for. Hope it won't get reported away to oblivion for being a too simple map.
This does mean I'll have to take a look at what all the scripts do though, which I haven't done in a while. I recall the absorber can be customized nearly infinitely and that you can sometimes input negative values where it's not expected, and that the global script has some unused code in it. Also, I recall the power towers directly affect the emitters so that can cause some weird things sometimes. Guess I'll see when I start workin on it (I'm also a bit lazy but you can probably expect it this month, as in November)
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

Builder17

Quote from: TrickyPlayer on October 31, 2021, 04:30:35 AM
Hope it won't get reported away to oblivion for being a too simple map.

Could just upload it to Custom Map Discussion board here? https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?board=32.0

With Subject something like "Cursor maps template for Creeper World 3" or something like that.

Could also look at this template post for Sleeper game mode for some ideas on how to format your post, if you want.
https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=18434.0