Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #667: Battleship

Author: planetfall
Size: 320x180

Desc:
Insert terrible pun here.

D0m0nik

Wow that was quite a battle and love the design!

I found the Benign Emergent more dangerous than the super weapons though! They were a pain start to finish. Is there any logic to the targeting of the Berthas or is it random?

GoodMorning

If they were a problem, they were not benign...
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

planetfall

Quote from: D0m0nik on February 26, 2017, 11:36:42 AM
I found the Benign Emergent more dangerous than the super weapons though! They were a pain start to finish. Is there any logic to the targeting of the Berthas or is it random?

The Berthas should be identical to the ones from the story mode, with the exception that their fire rate depends on the number of connected reactors.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Nehrak

Superweapons just delete your HQ constantly with no counterplay, can't build anything because it gets stunned and destroyed by emergent.  The "backup" ship would also get immediately destroyed if i tried to build it.

Waste of time.

GoodMorning

This map is not something you enjoy, which is fine. But all maps in the Exchange must be completed (and a score posted) before they can be uploaded.

Feel free to ask for assistance, walkthroughs, or hints. Offer advice for improvement, or ask for an easier version. But the map discussion is intended for improvement of maps and help completing them, not stating the function of the scripts and game mechanics that create difficulty.

For future reference, almost any map made by planetfall can be expected to have extensive use of scripting and be balanced to a high level of challenge. However, from personal experience, I can say that these maps can often be returned to after gaining experience and be challenging instead of impossible.

QuoteBe warned: mome are trivial, and many more are not...

Edit:
Played, won
It is important to note that the flip-Emitter above the starting area is within range of a carefully-placed Omni. Those along the bottom are HQ-vulnerable. In fact, a lot of things are vulnerable to the HQ or Omnis. Cough. Sun. Cough.
[close]

KingGladiator88

This looks like an absolute incredible blast. In practice is an absolute failure.

You have no energy at the start. You have tons of the energy to lathe, but that takes so much time to build and right off the bat you have particles coming in at you. Then you have Emergent that comes out and can take out all your omnis off the bat while they are still being constructed.

If that wasn't bad enough you have the big cannons constantly shooting you. Your only way to get to them is omnis but they get shot down by emergent if you try to move them. And even if you get them over there, they run out of energy because you can't really spend the time waiting for the Gem creator to make gems, and getting omnis to the 'sun' is a complete gambit

GoodMorning

More detail

There are a number of things which can be done.

First, you will probably lose a few ships at the start, but leaving the HQ in another corner where possible is a good plan, to draw the Emergent away.

The sun is easily taken early with the HQ, and provides significant power.

The Emitters below the ship should be flipped when you can.

The Emitter above your base needs to be your friend before many pleasant things will happen.

The HQ is able to fly about lathing many things in what might be considered enemy space.

You will have a hard time if you ever lose the entire ship landmass, so mire what you can.
[close]

This map is made by planetfall, so greater difficulty is to be expected.

stdout

I had been procrastinating finishing my playthrough of this map because of the difficulty. As mentioned above, the berthas constantly firing at you while the emergent is a constant nuisance makes it an exercise in frustration.

Having said that, it was a very good map with lots of interesting paths you can take to victory. I had fun and I think I will be playing it again.

My path was:

Spoiler

Flip the center emitter that is attached to the land.

Then go and flip the emitter on the right. Then head north and nullify the sun and start collecting those gems. Defensive struc, omni reactors, mine production, emitter control.

Then head south and by that time you should start having blue particles get through the red plasma and you can start working the south side. Once you get all emitters flipped, you can feed them all into the top-right emitter and point it downward into the land and it'll start miring. From that point, the game is won and you can use omnis to clear out the land. With the threat of emergent gone and the land owned by you, all the enemies are sitting ducks.

Definitely make use of your CN to nullify stuff all over the place. I must have lost my CN 20 times but that was fine thanks to the backup.

[close]

GoodMorning

That reminds me: HQ + amp gem can lathe Emitters without triggering the recall response, if positioned correctly. Most Berthas are vulnerable to the HQ.

ChaosMaster130

Well just beat the map in 17:59.
I guess I'm just used to planetfalls maps by now or something, as this map was pretty easy IMO.

Then again I'm one of those people who loved that final boss stage he made back in CW3.
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

Johnny Haywire

I know this is an old map, but I just found it and figured I'd check the forums.

This map can be won by sheer attrition and perseverance, assuming you know the game well enough to build ships, move omnis, attack one thing & destroy it (and lose stuff in the process) and then do that again.

This is much more like a real-world battle, where you must constantly rebuild and move stuff. ChaosMaster must really know what he's doing... fantastic score there!  :o

A final note: To say something can't be done (when clearly it can be done) is to expect that if I can't do it, no one can. The only logical reason for that way of thinking would be that my intellect & capability is superior to all others'. Much better to learn how to do something than assume it's impossible.  ;)

PlanetFall - pretty brutal map, mate... but definitely enjoyable!

Spoiler
I started in the upper right. And stayed there, because I forgot you can just pop the HQ back in other places. Duh. Once you grab the top & bottom right mines, it's a lot easier. My upgrades were defensive struc (which kept the suicide ship from killing stuff), power, and omni reactors.
[close]
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?