Loading Saved Game Makes Ships Invisible

Started by thumbmaster, December 17, 2016, 05:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumbmaster

We are testing a custom game. We finalized it and saved the progress. When we loaded the saved game, all the ships became invisible and impossible to play. Vanilla map with no scripts.

MacOS 10.11.6
iMac Core i7
AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.

Sorrontis

Can you upload the save file? Sounds like something is corrupt.

Also, restart the game, and try to reload the map? Does it fix it? If no, can you post the error log.  See: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21384.0
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

thumbmaster

Here's the save file and the log. Restarting the game doesn't help. I've run into this a couple times before with the same map. Each time we had to start from scratch but this time we've invested a lot of time into the progress so was a little sad.  :(

Sorrontis

Thanks thumbmaster, hopefully V can figure out what's going on.

If you want to try reinstalling the game, that would be great. If you are a steam user, you can check to make sure none of the files are corrupt.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Karsten75

knucracker

The attached save seems to load fine.  Looking at the top post screenshot it looks like you might play for a tad, and purchase the benign emergent upgrade.  That at some point you save and load and get the problem.  I've tried playing a saving/loading and have not yet been able to reproduce the problem. 

Now I did produce a different problem, so maybe that is related.  There was an exception at run time with emergent collision.  Perhaps that is related and had put things in a bad state that only showed up at load.  Or, it might be particle limit related since the mission runs right at the edge of max allowed particles.  I'll add some more error checks in place to handle that scenario...

thumbmaster

It's doing it on this map also.  :(

Sorrontis

thumbmaster

Karsten75

The save file you uploaded in the first upload is the start of the mission - no ships built, so no ships could disappear.

Do you have a save file that is actually exhibiting this issue?

Edit: You will have a heck of a time to find the save (esp since you play on Linux and I can't tell you precisely where to look).

Look in the particle fleet directory for a folder missionsaves
within that look for "misc"
then you will find one or more folders with a map GUID as a folder name; FOr instance, your game on my machine is saved in

e934ff2acbe698c9db99e260a657ad9f

Which just made me wonder if you perhaps every time load the wrong file? If you are play  testing from  the mission editor, that may be the issue - the saves aren't in the folder where you think the original map is.

thumbmaster

Quote from: Karsten75 on December 19, 2016, 08:13:08 PM
The save file you uploaded in the first upload is the start of the mission - no ships built, so no ships could disappear.

Do you have a save file that is actually exhibiting this issue?

Edit: You will have a heck of a time to find the save (esp since you play on Linux and I can't tell you precisely where to look).

Look in the particle fleet directory for a folder missionsaves
within that look for "misc"
then you will find one or more folders with a map GUID as a folder name; FOr instance, your game on my machine is saved in

e934ff2acbe698c9db99e260a657ad9f

Which just made me wonder if you perhaps every time load the wrong file? If you are play  testing from  the mission editor, that may be the issue - the saves aren't in the folder where you think the original map is.

Thanks for looking into it! We play on Macs. I managed to locate the actual save files. I guess the ones I uploaded earlier were the actual map files. It's a bit misleading since they're also called "save..." Do you have the hex value for the other file I uploaded?

knucracker

Ok, I can confirm that 1.0.2 exhibits the problem with your last save.  And I can confirm that I don't get the problem in my working build.  So when the 1.1 beta goes up on steam in the next 48 hours, you can switch over to that and be able to carry on.