Enemy ships

Started by Fireball14, March 02, 2016, 05:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireball14

While watching last video, I felt that fully functional enemy ships do not fit whole "Copy-cat" enemy theme. It was super cool to see Dopplers that are an essentially crude copy made of particles, but all those technological ships just break all that "Particle" theme. Anyone else feels this way?

steelwing

Agreed.  We obviously don't know the lore behind this game yet, but those ships don't feel right in combination with the Doppels and other particle-based enemies.

J

We copied creeper to make anti-creeper. They copied our ships to use against us. Ultimately it's the enemy ship AI that can truly change the gameplay, and there will be maps without enemy ships.

Michionlion

This is a classic example of wait and see. I think enemy ships and other things will be some of the more interesting aspects of PF. We'll have to wait and see to know more, though.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Fireball14

This is a classic example of "If we don't tell it now, later gonna be too late."
Just stating what I see. If this kinda thing goes into game mechanic because developer just did not know that this is bad, not because it is essential to the game story.

planetfall

Enemy ships have been in the game a looooong time... they just used to not move and be "space stations."
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Michionlion

Quote from: Fireball14 on March 03, 2016, 05:10:35 AM
This is a classic example of "If we don't tell it now, later gonna be too late."
Just stating what I see. If this kinda thing goes into game mechanic because developer just did not know that this is bad, not because it is essential to the game story.

What I am saying is that the developer is quite able to find out if something is bad or not, and has gone through quite a few iterations on many different things. So wait and see what the end result is. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Karsten75

All opinions are welcome.

It is my understanding that, based on feedback, the game is designed to be more symmetrical ,so that an AI (or maybe one day another player - who knows) will be able to control an enemy that is very similar to the player.

That is not to say that maps cannot be created with an asymmetrical enemy with different capabilities and perhaps without recourse to a fleet of ships, but only to Dopels or even no Doppels if so desired.

The behavior of both ships and Doppels are also under AI control and they can behave with varying levels of agression, as has been shown in some videos. 

Fireball14

Well, that's what I wanted to hear  ;)

Vanguard

Quote from: Fireball14 on March 02, 2016, 05:48:27 AM
While watching last video, I felt that fully functional enemy ships do not fit whole "Copy-cat" enemy theme. It was super cool to see Dopplers that are an essentially crude copy made of particles, but all those technological ships just break all that "Particle" theme. Anyone else feels this way?
Actually, I feel they fit right in, if introduced later. I really like the idea that at first you just have particles run rampart like an infection. But as they evolve and learn to copy efficient strategies ( clearly copying a winning strategy over your inferior strategy is smart ) it really gives the feeling of fighting an enemy that might after all have the capacity to overtake you in an alien-adaptive way. It feels creepy, to deal with the unknown and strange. So all I have to say: Bring it! And release it! and take my money! Now! ;D

Shockblast DX

We could have the ships be powered by particle movement in a generator inside the ship, making particles spew out of it once it dies.

4xC

Quote from: Vanguard on March 07, 2016, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Fireball14 on March 02, 2016, 05:48:27 AM
Actually, I feel they fit right in, if introduced later. I really like the idea that at first you just have particles run rampart like an infection. But as they evolve and learn to copy efficient strategies ( clearly copying a winning strategy over your inferior strategy is smart ) it really gives the feeling of fighting an enemy that might after all have the capacity to overtake you in an alien-adaptive way. It feels creepy, to deal with the unknown and strange. So all I have to say: Bring it! And release it! and take my money! Now! ;D

Sure they fit in.

Granted that at the beginning of this game, just like in the very first CW game and first portions of later CW games, there is a very strict formula: the enemy is a fluid that will cover the whole map if you don't respond appropriately.

The formula in PF seems to be the particle version of the old CW formula, the enemy consist of a bunch of space-faring, nameless little specs of dust that will leave no floor space if you don't pacify them properly.

As the CW games went on, the old formula was very well preserved despite the evolution of enemy tactics and designs. I think we can expect the same results in PF.
C,C,C,C