Custom Map #2857: checkers. By: Grantherum

Started by AutoPost, December 06, 2015, 02:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2857: checkers

Author: Grantherum
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Intense little Checker board. Watch out for the spores.

Jerdog

Oh boy another checkerboard...
Spore?  Pfft.  Spores.  I'll just start by base way forward and... oh gods the spores.

Restart.

Lets just build inside the a/c pools.  Build.  Smash.  Build.  Smash.  Eventually build faster than the smashing to start getting the upper hand.

Nice use of game mechanic.   You are excused the checkerboard.

PMouser

i cant see how to do this, since they keep destroying my energy buildings, no matter how hard i try
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

Karsten75

The key is the "game mechanic" used by Jerdog. :)  Spores target only specific things.  Others they don't target. If there's nothing on the map for them to target, then they don't eve fire.  So if you were to build, say 50 reactors, each only up to 49/50ths complete, and then build like 20 spore towers fully armed, you still won't have even one spore firing....

mzimmer74

Quote from: Karsten75 on December 07, 2015, 10:08:17 PM
The key is the "game mechanic" used by Jerdog. :)  Spores target only specific things.  Others they don't target. If there's nothing on the map for them to target, then they don't eve fire.  So if you were to build, say 50 reactors, each only up to 49/50ths complete, and then build like 20 spore towers fully armed, you still won't have even one spore firing....
Thank you for this...I just learned a technique I'd never really considered before!
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Grantherum

So... I remembered the little checkers map from CW1 and decided to put my take on it.  Sorry for those that get all Bungled up on the mechanics of the thing, but it is possible to brute force your way through all the spores, as that is how I accomplished it... and thus felt it sufficiently difficult to submit to the rest of you all.

Sorry for all the consternation this map causes folks... but if it isn't at least a little bit challenging, how fun is it, really.

As for the Mechanic technique Karsten75 pointed out... I've never actually used that one before, but I can see how it could be effective on a map such as this.  I'll have to try it out and see how I fare with it.

I don't think I did too terrible with a first go at pushing out a map.  I might try to do another sometime.

teknotiss

great map! ;)
loved it! :D
i built about 30 beams and charged them, laid them out in a double row, then built the energy net! :o
i was about 5 mins in before i started building spore target-able buildings...
seriously good fun... but i don't like the checks not being a whole number of units wide!
i wanted to terp it all, but waste of energy to do that :(
make more maps dude! 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

stdout

Also, the forge is not targeted by the spores, so you can get a healthy amount of upgrades before finally engaging the enemy.

teknotiss

Quote from: stdout on December 11, 2015, 11:44:53 AM
Also, the forge is not targeted by the spores, so you can get a healthy amount of upgrades before finally engaging the enemy.

....whaaa....  :o :o :o
i didn't know that!
hmm off to replay methinks!!!  ::) ;) 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Grantherum

Ya... I was thinking about the tiles not being a size divisible by 3 when I was playing it again last night.  Perhaps I'll make more of an effort next time to ensure that happens vs. just playing it and making do with what I started with.

It's a learning curve.  I might just have to look again at some of the other CW1 maps and see which ones I could retrofit to something challenging yet enjoyable.

teknotiss

Quote from: Grantherum on December 11, 2015, 05:25:02 PM
Ya... I was thinking about the tiles not being a size divisible by 3 when I was playing it again last night.  Perhaps I'll make more of an effort next time to ensure that happens vs. just playing it and making do with what I started with.

It's a learning curve.  I might just have to look again at some of the other CW1 maps and see which ones I could retrofit to something challenging yet enjoyable.

cool dude, and make them the way you like them!
and don't worry too much about my ocd either  ;)  8)

Helper

Quote from: Grantherum on December 11, 2015, 05:25:02 PM
It's a learning curve.

It is, and you're doing just fine.
Keep working on it and make maps that YOU like to play.
If you like it, then odds are a lot of other will too.
Thanks,
H