Custom Map #2631: COTA. By: svartmes

Started by AutoPost, October 05, 2015, 11:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2631: COTA

Author: svartmes
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Creeper of the Ancients! Map inspired by moba-games (dota, lol, etc). Push the three lanes alongside friendly npc units. Uses a modified "golem" script, original script by VirgilW. #CRPL #LimitedUnits

svartmes

Greetings! Since this is my first ever map I wanted to introduce myself on this board (been lurking here for years).

Some of you might recognize my nick from the scoreboards though I'm not really a highscore player and never play for time but I do like challenging maps!
I made this map in celebration of having clocked 600+ (!) hours of active playtime in this game. Almost all of that time is made up of playing custom maps (thanks to the awesome mapmakers here!) so I figured I'd finally try making one of my own.

The main idea of this map is to fight alongside friendly NPC units. The idea comes from the campaign map "Meso" and I'm surprised that it's mechanic havent been used more since I really like it. My map uses a modified (probably poorly, I'm still learning!) version of the script used in VirgilW's Meso map.
Even though I like the harder maps the most I'd say this maps difficulty is more easy-medium depending on your playstyle. The challenge comes mainly from having limited number of units and no relay. I had the idea of it sortof resembling the mobas micromanaging playstyle.

I hope you enjoy!

mzimmer74

Great first map!  I really enjoyed it and the difficultly level was appropriate.  Generally speaking the unit limits were good and helped to enforce playing the map the way you wanted it to be.  However, there was one limit though that I just couldn't understand the reasoning for.  That was the lack of relays.  Even with bumping up packet speed it just felt so slow to wait for the packets to get across the map.  I know that's probably part of the game play you were going for, but it was one irritant (to me) in an otherwise excellent map.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Helper

Echo on the "Great first map!" comment.
I let it run on 4x for a bit to see how it developed, then laid out a (IMO) very nicely designed grid...then watched my grid get utterly destroyed.

Will take another run, but wanted to thank you for the fun.
H

svartmes

@mzimmer74
Thank you! Yeah I can understand how you feel about the relay, I tend to dislike maps that forbids it myself actually :D
But I felt that I wanted this to slow down the players rush a bit to allow more focus on the golems and also to give reason for other upgrades then the usual rate+range. Personally I think it added to the map in this case but I certainly understand your point. Next map will have relays ;)

@Helper
Thanks! I know you have played a lot of maps so your comments means a lot. Thanks for playing!