Custom Map #1442: Your Typical Asteroid Field. By: nikeas

Started by AutoPost, December 04, 2014, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1442: Your Typical Asteroid Field

Author: nikeas
Size: 100x200

Desc:
My first map, 100% CRPL free, sucks and stuff but you might as well play it.

Grayzzur

Doesn't suck. That was a fun play. Your opening conversation literary style is not my cup of tea, but that's my personal opinion. The overall map presents a modest challenge with multiple avenues to victory.

Watch the profanity in your conversations, though. You wouldn't want an otherwise perfectly good map getting reported and removed for that. This one is probably borderline.

The energy at the start allows you to rush and take out several key positions early on. (That first 10-spore emitter near the top only managed to fire once before that PZ was mine.) At that point you have a nice area under control, and it's time to remember what the ultimate goal of the map is. (The Inhibitor!)

Guppy power!
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

nikeas

Thanks for the positive reply. I didn't think somebody would post something good about this map. Since I'm in love with all sorts of level editors and stuff, I'll probably make a new map soon or something (no more pixelated char images this time!) (nevermind, my beatiful pics are too lame for this).

One question though : what exactly do you mean by "profanity"? "c[PROFANITY]"? "idiot"? I actually wanted to use a certain "f" word somewhere but decided that it might not end well for my map (deletion and stuff).

teknotiss

Quote from: nikeas on December 04, 2014, 03:22:37 PM
Thanks for the positive reply. I didn't think somebody would post something good about this map. Since I'm in love with all sorts of level editors and stuff, I'll probably make a new map soon or something (no more pixelated char images this time!) (nevermind, my beatiful pics are too lame for this).

One question though : what exactly do you mean by "profanity"? "c------d"? "idiot"? I actually wanted to use a certain "f" word somewhere but decided that it might not end well for my map (deletion and stuff).

welcome to the forums and thanks for making a map, i hope we see many more from you, this is a good one. BUT...
we encourage forum users and maps makers to use no bad language at all while here in the forums or in their maps.
this game and it's forums are for all ages and so the c word you used is about as strong as you can get away with. frankly i was 50/50 whether i reported that word or not. but this is your first map and Grayzzur covered it really, so i gave you a pass. you and your family may use that word freely, and we pass no judgement on that, but here we would prefer if you use language someone would be using around respectable elders or small children.
Spoiler
the f word, the really bad c word, and all the other fun ones are definitely a no go ;)
any of those or normal words used in adult or rude ways will result in pretty prompt map deletion. and post deletion if used in the forums.
[close]
so other than that, nice work dude, fun map, if my PC stop playing silly games with me i may post a score on it today, but systems maintenance come first i suppose ::)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

pastor.healer

I just played your map and really enjoyed it!  What I don't understand is why you thought it was poorly designed?

From today forward, begin to see yourself as amazing, intelligent, creative with a purpose on the earth.  This map
showed me all those qualities.  Kick the youthful junk out of your life and get going with this thing called life.  You
are blessed.  Now use it.

Thanks for the map!

Grayzzur

I was actually referring to the line "They might only release one spore, but every ______ 10 seconds." The "G" word, as it were. Keep in mind that kids do play this game and have access to these forums.

But the map itself... that was a blast to play, and I'll probably replay it at least once to try to speed up my time.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Karsten75

Just about to play the map, so can't comment on that, but some respected players rate it highly, so I'm sure it's worthwhile.

Thought I'd put in an advisory on the language issue. I can well imagine that battle-hardened soldiers over the ages have a harsher language than civilian pastors (:) - J/k, couldn't resist.). So often-times in context of map dialogue, people insert language that may be different than what they'd use in other circumstances. In the same general game space as this game, there are also extremes like GTA, etc. SO it's sometimes hard to retain perspective. Now that the game is on Steam and exposed to a wider community playing a far wider range of games, this situation is becoming more difficult and we have adopted slightly more relaxed (or looser) standards.

Having said all of that, we are still intent on keeping bad language as well as contentious issues and topics out of the map and social spaces. :)

This particular map has already garnered a few reports and I do not intend to intervene one way or the other. It's will be interesting to see whether the community values gameplay over dialogue. :)

Hence I'm off to play it sooner rather than later, just on the odd chance that another planet in Colonial Space may be devoured by a different planetary annihilation mechanism. :)

nikeas

Oh well.. that's nice to hear all that good stuff. Thanks for pointing out that profanity, I didn't really know about it (English isn't my 1st language anyway).

So, is there anything you didn't like about that map except, umm, profanities?

...guess I'll go and try to make another map. Hopefully this time I will be right about whether it's good or nay. And I won't use any profanities.
(and there still won't be any CRPL.)

Helper

"And I won't use any profanities. (and there still won't be any CRPL.)"

Two points in your favor!
:)

I will play it later today and offer some thoughts, but found the above comments interesting.
Looking forward to playing this one and seeing more in the future.
H

Asbestos

It's pretty fun at the start, but then the spores get more and more annoying as they start draining energy faster than you can produce and move it. I felt a distinct Farbor vibe from it too, especially with the two space islands with emitters and whatnot.

Tero

Tough map.  Took a few attempts to get a foothold.  A quickly saved.  I'm a big fan of "Skip all" when it comes to those dialog boxes.  I just want to start playing.  No disrespect to anyone who creates content.  I especially like the two islands in the upper corners.  This where I began my battle with the Creeper.
I respect those who quote me the least.

Ceraus

I was supposed to sleep, but this map really reached out to me. I saw the potential beginning positions, the way Relays and Guppies could help, the available Siphons, the potential Power Zones, the promise of unrelenting Spores... now THIS is what I'm looking for in a Creeper World mission. Most maps are mostly "spread Collectors, draw a line in the sand, turtle up, build up, assault", but this one engaged me constantly. Also, while I share the opinion that the beginning text overstayed its welcome, I loved picking up... uh... those extra text capsules.

I might have broken the map a little, though, winning in less than half the previous best time, before the last Spore Towers even finished building. But I had a lot of fun doing so! My strategies:

Spoiler
  • Everyone should know this already, but just in case: Reactors are inefficient, don't waste Siphon energy on them. Insta-build your whole Collector web instead.
  • The two top islands can be linked by Relays if you defend the top middle island. Linking makes it much easier to support the early-game Nullifiers.
  • The Bertha-tech island, with all the Power Zones in the vicinity, is a nice staging point for an assault to the left. Terraform one PZ, put a Digitalis-targeting Cannon on it and support with Digitalis-Mortars: you can blow up the closest Spore Tower early.
  • Dropping the third CN on the middle island nabs the Thor before it's hard to reach. If you're quick on the Forge, you can take all 500 Aether there. Once that's done, the upgrades make the island pretty easy to hold as long as you reinforce it soon enough with Guppies, then Relays. Then you have lots of space for the Thor.
  • Space being limited, I mostly upgraded Energy Efficiency at first, also boosting Energy Storage a little to compensate for the variation in Nullifier and Guppy drain. I put most of the Aether in Build Speed, though, for the Nullifiers and the Thor. Afterwards, it was all Move Speed to hasten the end.
  • With Berthas, the Thor, Power-Zone-Bombers and Guppies, the Inhibitor is toast. I didn't even let the Thor charge up, instead shutting down its weapons until it was on top of the target, where Guppies took take of its ammo.
[close]