Custom Map #1596: The Outside Takeover. By: Thumbmaster

Started by AutoPost, January 11, 2015, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1596: The Outside Takeover

Author: Thumbmaster
Size: 150x150

Desc:
This is the hardest map we've made yet. Have fun!

ChaosMaster130

It was an OK map I guess. Though I don't see how it's supposed to be hard with the easily defended choke points and loads of power zones you gave us  :P
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

Helper

Quote from: ChaosMaster130 on January 12, 2015, 12:27:56 AM
It was an OK map I guess. Though I don't see how it's supposed to be hard with the easily defended choke points and loads of power zones you gave us  :P

Lighten up. These maps are a team effort of a parent and 6 year old child...but I'm not sure who does the design and who does the mechanics.
:)
@Thumbmaster - another fun playing map. Tell your partner thanks for me.
H

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Helper on January 12, 2015, 03:02:11 PM
Quote from: ChaosMaster130 on January 12, 2015, 12:27:56 AM

Lighten up. These maps are a team effort of a parent and 6 year old child...but I'm not sure who does the design and who does the mechanics.

@Thumbmaster - another fun playing map. Tell your partner thanks for me.
H

Some of us think difficulty descriptions should be realistic.

stdout

Not difficult but much more fun than I was expecting! Sometimes it's fun to just have a big creeper destruction game. I think I had 50 berthas by the end!  :P

Karsten75

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on January 12, 2015, 04:21:40 PM

Some of us think difficulty descriptions should be realistic.

Realistic - Hmmm

I've seen you ask for help on maps I thought were straightforward. so... who would be the arbiter of realism?  Besides, the map text says "hardest we've made yet" meaning it's relative to other maps by the same author and not an absolute standard.

thumbmaster

The little master dictates the title and description of each map as well. He designs the maps, location of the units, and picks the textures. All I am is the keyboard monkey and message board screener. Occasionally, I advise him on little things. You should see his original designs on crayon & paper. They're quite the masterpieces.

In his mind this was the hardest map that WE have made. Most certainly it's a cakewalk for even casual players; but we had fun making it. Just watch out, he's set his sights on making a PAC map...  :o
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.

pastor.healer

I liked the definition of 'kindness' I just found. 

Kindness is doing something or receiving something and not expecting anything in return

Kindness is respecting or helping others without restriction

It implies kindness no matter what the circumstance

As I get older, I don't see much of it anymore.  I wonder what happened to it...

teknotiss

Karsten75 i agree, difficulty is relative, so realism in descriptions is unobtainable.

Loren Pechtel we do encourage criticism, but constructive criticism. ::)

ChaosMaster130 see above, if you have better ideas, the please enlighten us all.
a statement that just pointed out flaws isn't really awfully constructive. ::)

thumbmaster, and map designing sproggle, good job!
Great fun map, but i like a lot of berthas! this was a case of....
KaBOOOOOOOMMMMMM
repeatedly  ;)
make some more dude and little dude!
ps with a smart phone camera and a usb link lead, the initial design pic can be posted in the maps thread! come on man keep up with the times! lol  ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Grayzzur

I like maps where you can escalate your level of force rapidly against the creeper and overwhelm it in the end game. This was a fun play!
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

thumbmaster

For this map, the little dude actually did the design in his head, then improvised as I created it on screen. But we kept all the drawings of his older maps. Like a true artist, he's since diversified into color pencils and markers. I'll try to include the original images next time.

We don't take any offense regarding the previous comments. They don't know my back story. The little dude is just happy that people are playing his maps. Also, any criticism (that he's allowed to read) will help him understand what can make his maps better. I'm slowly steering him to designing "harder" maps.  8)

Speaking of easy maps, I wonder if there's a large enough demographic of young/beginner players to warrant either a tag or even a separate section for beginner/casual maps?
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.