Celebrating a quarter million!

Started by MagneticDuck, September 03, 2014, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagneticDuck

(Prologue:
I recently became a bit curious about how active the custom map community is in CW3, so I had a bit of fun writing a little tool that requests / parses score and map data from the server, the same way that the application itself does. I got some interesting data, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. If you happen to speak Haskell, https://github.com/MagneticDuck/CWData might be of use to you.)

From the upload of the first custom map on some day not too distant from the 22nd of December, 2013, 255 days ago, 1050 maps have been posted by 313 unique authors, and 246,783 downloads of said maps have been made by the CW3 community at large, leaving 2710 unique names on the collective leaderboards of the Colonial Space, and 64,858 scores in total.

Intrapolating linerally, that means that the CW3 community averages almost 1000 downloads per day. Not too shabby at all.

One free air guitar goes to Flash1225 for his title as Most Prolific Author, with 37 accepted maps. His maps are, sorted by submission date,
Spoiler
Inhibitor's Wrath, Inhibitor's Wrath (Hard), Island of Dr. Wall, Inhibitor's Wrath (EXTREME), Wind, Inhibitor's Wrath (Ultimate), Blue Inferno Pt. 1, Blue Inferno Pt. 2, Hard Space, Used to Energy, Miniature, Area 256, Battles, CRPL, Miniworld, Miniworld 2, Tiny Assault, Mini Attack 1, Mini Tempus, Relays, Delta, Quickie 0001, Quickie 0002, Quickie 0003, Quickie 0004, Ideas, Quickie 0005, Quickie 0006, Quickie 0007, Quickie 0008, Puzzle 0001, Quickie 0009, Puzzle 0003, Quickie 0010, Techs 01, Techs 02, Techs 03
[close]
Their average rating is 6.46, just slightly below the global average of 6.53

One free invisible mouse pad goes to inept_celt with 742 scores in the custom map leaderboards. Considering that the average user submits 24 scores, that's quite a bit. Additionally, the distribution of player scores is very pronouncedly exponential, with more players with a single logged score than with more than 7. (934 players have a single score, and 904 have more than 7.) Only 166 players can boast that they have submitted more than 100, and a small group of 10 have risen to the great height of ... OVER 500 :D

Their respective scores are 534, 547, 555, 558, 598, 606, 670, 680, 717, and 742, and the names of these great heroes are:
Spoiler
"stdout", "1860", "TEWBIG", "yotsuba", "tomiz", "DARTH BUDA", "Helper", "derf", "dogfood", and of course the great "inept_celt"
[close]

Within a matter of days, CW3 custom maps will have had a quarter of a million downloads in under a year since their release! (Just since I began writing this post, the download count has risen to 246,829, and that number isn't staying still.) That sounds like a big event, what will we do to mark it? :D

That concludes my post, but if anybody want to know something about anything / pull some more factoids from the data, I'd be happy to help.

Good job, you found the hidden text!
main=(liftM2(>>)putStr print)"main=(liftM2(>>)putStr print)"

Write the following string, and then write it again in quotes: "Write the following string, and then write it again in quotes:"

Relli

That's some pretty cool stuff you found. And as for extra info, I'm not in desperate need of it of course, but I'd be curious to know what player has the highest number of #1 scores.

Grayzzur

Highest number of #1 scores may be inaccurate, considering the cheaters posting impossible scores. They knock the true #1 off the board for any kind of data mining statistics like this. You'd have to somehow account for and eliminate those scores to get meaningful numbers.

This is some very cool info.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Asbestos

MagneticDuck

In response to Relli's suggestion... some more facts!

Of the 2710 players (assuming that each player chooses only one name) who have contributed their scores to the leaderboards, only 111 currently occupy at least one first position.

The 10 players with most first positions are:
tomiz, Atomicfrog, malibo29, NextIdea, Miss Melissa, Helper, Alter Old, RrR, ea3401, pajajezek
...and their respective number of #1 scores are:
24, 30, 43, 45, 47, 58, 91, 101, 131, 134

That puts ea3401 and pajajezek at a tie with two discomfortingly large numbers of #1 positions, respectively 131 and 134.

*ninja edit*:
Comically, inept_celt, our great champion of high scores, has only a single #1 place.

*slower ninja edit*:
Kudos to Helper, who is simultaneously in both top-10 rankings, who is in both top-10 rankings with 617 general leaderboard scores and 58 number one scores!

Write the following string, and then write it again in quotes: "Write the following string, and then write it again in quotes:"

J

Cool statistics. I would like to know which author has the highest rated maps and I wonder what would happen to the maps count if you included the alpha maps ::)

MagneticDuck

About the alpha maps... there doesn't seem to be a very simple way to get a list of their UIDs... so I'll leave that for later.

As for the user with the best rated maps... here's some more data!

To answer the question "who is the author with the best average rating", the strict solution is "VDOGamez", with his 8.5 rated "Creeper War (Capture Enemy Emitters)". That is also his only map.

Not a very exciting answer is it?

The highest rated map of all time is "CreeperComeback" by stewbasic, with a rating of 8.83, and the lowest is "jjjj", a map so terrible that no author was specified. (Rating of 1.56)

In the top 50 most productive authors (with map counts ranging from 6 to 37), teknotiss wins with an average rating of 7.78 and 17 published maps. Kudos to teknotiss then for ... winning a prototype terp (to be made available in 170 years) for his title as best all-around map maker. Judged under the same criteria... "brainspank", "eduran", "drwho77", "Tobimoe", "teknotiss" are our top five winners, with 7.54, 7.60, 7.65, 7.66, and 7.78 as their respective average ratings and 6, 6, 6, 17, and 17 as their number of maps produced.

*edit, made a mistake*

If we consider instead of the 50 most productive authors (which is a bad way to do it actually in hindsight because it cuts a plateau of authors with 6 maps) all authors with 5 or more maps, Snakey edges in between eduran and drwho77, knocking brainspank out of our top five. His average rating is 7.61.

In conclusion:
table of notable authors (more than 5 maps and top 5 ratings):
eduran -- average rating of 7.60
Snakey -- 7.61
drwho77 -- 7.65
Tobimoe -- 7.66
teknotiss -- 7.78 *our winnar! w00t*

teknotiss wins a prototype terp for his title as coolest author!

Asbestos

Who's the very worst author by average of map rating, not counting blank maps?

Karsten75

Quote from: Asbestos on September 03, 2014, 06:53:40 PM

We don't celebrate or give publicity to mediocrity.

4xC

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 03, 2014, 09:47:40 PM
Quote from: Asbestos on September 03, 2014, 06:53:40 PM

We don't celebrate or give publicity to mediocrity.

Yeah. That would nullify the social advantages being a member of this forum provides over innumerable other forums for games.
C,C,C,C

MagneticDuck

As I write this post, exactly 250189 custom map downloads have been made!

teknotiss

thank you MagneticDuck, my prototype terp is assisting with some prototype maps as we speak! ;) (someone beat me to completing my stewbasic creeper maps)
nice to know my scribblings are appreciated  :D
really nice work on the stats, interesting stuff.
I'd like to know how many DMD maps have say 10 or 20 scores and what size / difficulty they fall into. this may be tricky to define let alone collate, but still, you seem to have some time to kill sooo....
good one dude  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus