Custom Map #1192: color inside the lines

Started by AutoPost, June 11, 2012, 09:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

DRider

Once you figure out how to survive the first 2 or 3 minutes, it's relatively smooth sailing after that.  It only took me about a DOZEN tries to figure out that first couple minutes.   >:(  Good one!   :)

Helper

This is an excellent game!
The start did take me a few tries, but well worth sticking with and playing to the finish.

Thank you.

toastkid

Quote from: Helper on June 12, 2012, 05:54:45 PM
The start did take me a few tries, but well worth sticking with and playing to the finish.

Me too - an easy when you know how kind of deal, but took me several goes to figure it out.  Nice map, thanks :)

Helper

@null -
I really can't understand the negative votes on this one.
If anyone wants a hint (or two) about surviving the first few minutes, I'd be glad to post a 'Spoiler'.

J

Quote from: Helper on June 13, 2012, 08:29:15 AM
@null -
I really can't understand the negative votes on this one.
If anyone wants a hint (or two) about surviving the first few minutes, I'd be glad to post a 'Spoiler'.
The harder the map, the more negative votes it'll get. Most players play every map only once and if they can't win they'll move on to the next, some of them also vote the map down.

Helper

"J" - thanks for the explanation. No doubt you are right.
On the plus side, I see that you have created a couple of dozen maps...there goes my work schedule.
:)

teknotiss

yeah J's maps are fun, replaying them all soon, but first lich's bunch of madness, i mean maps.  ;D
i often use high negative scores as an indication of difficulty and so i'll give them all the "bad" maps a go at least once. i also don't tend to vote on a map unless i have either completed it or can see it's do-able and can't be bothered to slog through.
unfortunatly J is right most players give a thumbs down straight away and move on. :(
without commenting.  >:(
which sucks harder than the voting down, since how can a mapper make maps more fun if the negative nessie's don't tell us whats wrong?
ah well, life eh?  ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

JmfR

HOLY GEEZ that was a tough one for Me but I liked it alot make some more

RealAndy

Yes, I'd love a hint, have played it a lot (+ slept on it a couple of nights), and just can't work out how to get started properly.

Here's the best strategy I've tried:

Spoiler

Build shields down bottom, then use Bomb on creeper, and build more shield while the reverse creeper is still there, then build another bomb and repeat.

[close]

But I can't get enough energy to keep this up, and then I've got no idea what to do about the left and right emitters when they open.  Have tried all kinds of other strategies with no luck.

Help!

Kithros

Personally I didn't have much trouble defending at all -  you just need to build a few shields to block the bottom off and build 2 phantom coils. Once you build a microrift and start picking up the gems you'll have way more energy than you need (at least I did - I ended up not using any conversion bombs at all on the bottom and just overpowering it with launchers+blasters instead). Start off by building 2 shields as far forward as you can, and build more layers of shields as necessary and you can easily defend the bottom without fighting any creeper for several minutes - which is more than enough time to build up reactors everywhere available and pick up all the gems (which gives all the tech you want too).

My time has some amount of room for improvement because I thought the conversion bomb limit would've been the limiting factor, rather than the nullifier limit (The last minute or so I wasn't even building conversion bombs because I already killed the creeper everywhere and just needed to wait for nullifiers to go off), but oh well.