[Bug?] Particles Bypass Hull

Started by Relli, October 06, 2016, 04:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relli

Every so often I'll see a ship take a hit that seems highly improbable. Eventually I believe I spotted why. It seems that when a ship and a particle are both moving towards each other, there's a small chance that when the particle hits, it manages to skip one section of hull (usually diagonally, I've seen) and do its damage further in. On most ships this can mean bypassing armor to destroy a module, which can cascade quickly if that module was needed to hold the particles back. I've even seen the CHQ take a fatal hit this way, bypassing the single section of side-armor to hit the bridge instantly.
I apologize for not having any pictures of this. If it's necessary, I can attempt to create one, though all it would show is exactly what I've said.

Sorrontis

I've noticed this with maps where I force particles to have movement speeds of >10. Something with frame detection maybe?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

knucracker

On maps that allow high speed particles, this can definitely happen.  High speed ships can increase the probability as well.  A cell is basically 4x4 pixels.  If a particle is moving at a relative speed greater than 4 then it can definitely ship a hull section.  It's just something a ship design has to accommodate (or not) for.

Xeneonic

Quote from: virgilw on October 06, 2016, 05:25:06 PM
On maps that allow high speed particles, this can definitely happen.  High speed ships can increase the probability as well.  A cell is basically 4x4 pixels.  If a particle is moving at a relative speed greater than 4 then it can definitely ship a hull section.  It's just something a ship design has to accommodate (or not) for.
Does this mean that "half" armor sections (Diagonal or the small ^ one) are considered 2x2 for collision detection or still 4x4?

knucracker

Half or quarter hull sections still take up a full cell (so they are 4x4).  However, they only have half or quarter the health of a full square of armor.