Tech issues with Comments

Started by Tero, January 05, 2010, 02:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tero

I have posted a some comments over past few days and just the subject line appears.  While the body of the comment is missing.  A liitle help, please.
I respect those who quote me the least.

knucracker

Are you talking about comments on a map?  If so, what map and what title did you put.  I've not seen any come through with just titles.

Tero

Yes, comments on maps. There are two.  The first time, is my third map "The Switchback" currently on page 8.  I had a lengthy comment I wished to post and only the title appeared.  The second involved an animated discussion between myself and Aurzel over "On the run lvl 7" page 12.  I wanted to site a number things that make winning this map impossible, but only the title was posted.  Thanks.

Karsten75

Quote from: Tero on January 06, 2010, 01:14:45 AM
Yes, comments on maps. There are two.  The first time, is my third map "The Switchback" currently on page 8.  I had a lengthy comment I wished to post and only the title appeared.  The second involved an animated discussion between myself and Aurzel over "On the run lvl 7" page 12.  I wanted to site a number things that make winning this map impossible, but only the title was posted.  Thanks.

Just a reminder that Virgil asked that discussions should be brought here to the forums, not conducted on the comments threads.

knucracker

You might have exceeded the maximum number of characters (30000) for the post possibly.

Tero

QuoteYou might have exceeded the maximum number of characters (30000) for the post possibly.

Below is what I wanted to appear under the "Title" for the two Comments.  the first has 104 words, 587 characters; the second 103 words, 576 characters.

QuoteThere are two solutions to this map.  [linking the totem, in the upper right hand corner.]  Thought each is very similar.  One is far better than the other.
Switchback is my third map.  I wanted to do something that presented a challenge at each phase of the map.  Striving to give the player that "oh $#!&" feeling when they Creeper is about to or has broken through the line.  At the same time allowing the player the ability to salvage and rebuild.  Without being discouraged.  Basically, the elements that separate a map that is either too easy or impossible from a great map.  Enjoy!

After reading your response, I downloaded your map again and played it.  It quite obvious what needs to be built first and what needs to be moved, where before the first wave hits.  I again, disagree that this map is winnable.  For one thing there isn't enough time to build an adequate number of reactors let alone SAMs.  By my calculations, within 6 minutes of the map starting, 46 spores have fallen.  Just after 8 minutes is when the city is destroyed.  Maybe an "expert" could find a solution.  But this map should not be rated easy.  Perhaps other players have an opinion?

Thanks again for your help!

Siccles

which map are you talking about? I would like a challenge :P

ah nvm --- was posted already

knucracker

OK, I see what the problem is....
I tried posting your comments as you included them in your forum post and they didn't post for me either.  The best I can tell this is because they contain
'  " and "
As opposed to
'  and "

I'm going to guess you wrote your comments in something like microsoft word then copied the text and pasted it in to the comment field.  Word uses the non ascii versions of quotes and apostrophes.... and for who-knows-what reason they don't work with the comment system I installed.  When I replace these characters in your comment postings, they will work.

I'll see if the comment system forum says anything about this limitation.  As usual, anytime I use something I didn't write, there will be something crazy like this with it.

Tero

Yes, I do use MS Word.  Should I copy the text into Notepad first, to strip the non ascii stuff, then copy the text into the Comment page?

knucracker

I've asked the comment system author what is going on.... I'll try some of the stuff he recommended tonight and see if that fixes it.  In the mean time just watch out for the funny quotes or apostrophes.

Tero

I had another (same) problem with comments in the custom map area.  I tried to copy & paste a comment created in MS Word.  Only the title appeared.

Tero

I got a strange message when I tried to post the first comment for a custom map.

"Your comment has been blocked due to duplicate content."  The map was by Mrmcdeath: Stranded 3: pits

Usually, I'll type the five character code to prevent spambots in lower case.   Which didn't work.  Nor did upper case.
I'm not using any new security features on my computer.  And up until quite recently, leaving comments was easy.

A little help please.

Mrmcdeath

lol that was one of my worse maps. I could of done better. Ill try to post something and then you could try posting afterwords.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

Mrmcdeath

I posted something maybe you should try it now.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

knucracker

I've got the 'duplicate content' option turned on for the comments.  It seems to check any comment against all other comments and rejects it if it is identical or really similar.  I wish this feature only worked on the comments for a given map.... but it seems it checks against all comments.  It is designed to prevent people from double posting by accident.