Frigg

Started by hapes, November 30, 2009, 01:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hapes

I'm having trouble building up a sufficient defense for Conquest/Frigg/#3.  I've done all the other maps for Frigg, but the Creeper just comes too fast.  Anyone have any tips?

Right now, I'm moving the city to the next level up, left of the starting position, then building in series (as in, one at a time) collectors, then blasters.  I tried a drone defense, but the recharge is too slow.

djcian

what i do is (after moving the city west so it is on higher ground) pretty much build a lazer far away from the creeper enough so that it is not engulfed while it is being build and yet you can get a mortar shooting on the north pool.  after that i move the lazer forward for more room, put collectors on the south ridge higher then your city, get a mortar shooting on the west pool, and just keep pushing the creeper back with common anti creeper tactics like cutting off the  south pool from creeper so it dries out
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

hapes

Ah, I think that's got it, thanks.

Aurzel

you're still having problems let me know i'll take screenies for you with my strategy

Jiinia

Hello,

Got a little question for you all. Im stuck in Conquest Mode at Frigg planet 3. I cant seem to get enough energy up to support either a mortar or a blaster, let alone both. Any tips for me?

thanks,

Jiinia

knucracker

I love this map.... :)
It makes you really work for it.

The first thing I do is move the city just to the left up on a little higher ground.  Then I build out energy behind me and to the front.  The key is to not panic... you don't have all day to goof around, but you have a minute and a half to build collectors.  At the last minute I build a blaster and move it north to defend against the Creeper that is coming down on my plain.  Its job is to just hold the line... not advance it.  If it has to fallback a little bit, that is ok.

While all of this is going on the great valley to the east will be filling in.  By around 2:10 or so, it will start to flood onto your plain if you have not done anything about it (and you shouldn't have done anything about it yet...).  You need one mortar to deal with this, so you have to start building it so it is done by around 2:00 into the game.  I usually just barely get it built.  Sometimes my plain starts to flood and I loose a collector or two.  But as soon as the mortar gets built its job is to bomb the valley.  Just a few rounds, then deactivate it.  You will have knocked the Creeper back and that is all you need at this point.  Save your energy to rebuild any lost collectors and to get a second Blaster online.  You will need two blasters to hold the line and the one mortar to keep the valleys lowered.

Now you can sit this way almost indefinitely.  You have to shuffle your mortar around to shell the valleys and lakes, but you are in a sustainable situation.  You should occupy at least half of the plain that you are own.  I usually build out a few reactors and an energy store before I start to push north.  My goal is to push north and cap the two emitters that have been causing me the most trouble (the two left most ones).  One they are capped, the center emitter is easy pickings.

Then is is pay-back-time!

I should also add that there may be other strategies that work here.  Some others may be good enough to post a few screenshots of their strategy.

Aurzel

i'd say capping the emitters takes extra time that's not necessary, i completely agree with your opening but personally i built a drone and bombed the pool where the left most emitter is, my goal was to force the creeper the abandon the pool which is below the first in the left center of the map, after that those two blasters stayed in place keeping the creeper back while my drone started doing damage to the creeper which the mortar hasnt been able to reach on the right, or you could send the mortar on bombing runs but i just found the drone to be more all round useful. the two center totems can be reached from your plain while the one on the right needs you to advance another 2 new blasters over towards that totem with drone support, and you can move the mortar once there's better targets elsewhere, like moving it to the high plain to the east to keep the pool with the emitter in it clear. from there you more or less have the totem already, the problem with me is the spore waves, sometimes i forget about them and take the first hit which pushes me back a minute or two

Jiinia

Thank you very much, I shall go and try it right now.

Kamron3

Is there a video guide to this? I've beaten it already, but some people seem to be having trouble with this map.

Someone should post one :D

_k

Aurzel

i dont know about video guide if no one comes up with one i could post a few pics which could help hopefully

Jiinia

i dont think a video guide is really necessary. Key is to move the city uphill and use drones instead of mortars in the beginning of the game.

Aurzel

well i used one mortar in the top right of that area and then a drone to bomb what ever looked dangerous, as well as to assist when i pushed my blasters to the east

Jiinia

true, when you want to attack you're gonna need the mortars. But at the start when you are still defending mortars are just powermonsters.

mastergrego

Hi! I would appreciate a screenie showing your tactic.
Frigg 3 has been a failure for long enough now...

GuiZe

Hi there !

I've been stuck for a while on this level, and thanks to djcian, I managed to found a good spot for Odin City (even if a bit hazardous at the beginning), and if you focus on one or two Blasters, then on your network, you'll gain enough power to contain the creeper.

Here's some screenies :

I'm actually paused at the third screenshot, so I'm not saying it's a winning scheme, but the situation is stable, so I'm not worried about it :)