Custom Map #886: So Simple Too

Started by AutoPost, February 24, 2012, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #886: So Simple Too

Author: Peter Power

Desc:
Another puzzle map in the same style as 'So Simple'. Grab the capsules to win but collect the gems to get the high score. This one has even more insidious puzzles with multiple possible approaches. Note 1: You have 7 mins to save the lower capsule. Note 2: Be sure to save your game before attempting a new puzzle as some can be made impossible to solve if you make a mistake. Note 3: If the solution seems to be ridiculously hard or time-consuming, there is a better way. Also, thanks to Ebon_Heart for the Ore puzzle idea :)

PeterPower

Apparently this map was NOT so simple... so I made a screenshot walkthrough to show how to get the capsules (or secure them so you can collect the gems at your leisure) in 5 minutes. It's at the usual place: http://dagongame.blogspot.com/2012/02/so-simple-too-map-886.html

Text only walkthrough is below:
At the title screen before clicking to start the map press "P" to pause the game. click through the story and the game starts paused. Build 2 sheilds to block the creeper spiral in the center and a third one under the last dirt tile under the Right emmiter cluster. Immedeatly build reactors along the top left leaving the 5th spot in for a Launcher. This launcher will hold off the Left emmiters by itself for awhile.

By 1:00 Build more reactors until the first Launcher is completed. Then build a second launcher for the other side. Place it on the left side of the sheild because there are feilds that stop the creeper from entering the spot where that second launcher is.

By 1:30 Continue to build more reactors and build secondary sheilds behind the first ones as the first ones will be near destruction.

By 2:00 Build more reactors and 3 Tech Domes since you'll have extra energy now. Build a blaster on each side to help fight the cluster emmiters

By 3:00 Build more reactors and nullify the first emmiters on the left and right in the cluster at the top. this will get you 120 energy from the 2 red gems.

By 4:00 Build more reactors and setup 4 Blasters and a Launcher behind shields for the planned attack to save the bottom capsule. Also, build 2 more shields on the creeper spiral and open up the AC emmiter at the top (if you haven't already) By now you should have 3 blasters on each side of the cluster to hold back the emmiters

By 5:00 Build more reactors :) and optionally build an AC collector under the AC emmiter on Vacuum, and another one in the middle of the creeper spiral on Produce x4. Have 5 Blasters ready for the top capsule and break that bush so the drones come out. They should kill 2 or 3 or your Blasters at most. you should have reached the emmiter near the bottom capsule. Nullify it.

By 5:30 Grab the gem beside the top capsule and collect the capsule (or don't if you are trying to collect all the gems) Move the Blasters at the bottom down to protect your retreival of the last capsule. (I had one attempt where the creeper broke that bush and killed the capsule.) Congrats, you finished the level.

PeterPower

Haha! This is the highest BAD rating I ever got on a level! :) Considering the unanimous thumbs DOWN rating, I am actually curious who the ONE person that gave it thumbs UP was. (obviously, I am the other one)

I had a third puzzle level planned but now I'm thinking of maybe just making a normal level and adding in one or two moderate puzzles to it.

Ebon Heart

now you have 3 thumbs up. :D And it isn't a bad map, it's just... people tend to rage about things they can't beat. Don't get too down because people can't figure out the map.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

PeterPower

Thanks Ebon! Now I'm really curious who the other person is since originally I suspected it was you :)

I accept people's opinion about the level. As has been said before most people want to play fun levels with lots of battle and not too many failure attempts. I setup the first 5 minutes to require too much precision work and realized later that this made the capsules much too difficult to retrieve, even with the walkthrough. Also, the puzzles would be much easier for me to complete since I designed them, so overall it's understandable.

I decided not to continue the walkthrough to show how to beat the puzzles since I'm planning to include some of them in a future level. hehehe...

TonyP2000

I think the same thing happened with my map: CoTN 2. The start was very aggressive, you needed two repolsers up and one launcher to hold back the creeper, you did not have lots of energy to work with. Plus, you needed a phantom coil and some (drone only) blasters to fight off a drone with 150 health. Little room for error. I guess people couldn't get a good foothold and I got bombed with thumbs down...

As for you map, it does have a tough start but it was still fun. I never played it all the way though. Maybe another day.
Vote Tony!

SmileyCoder

I luved it!

I think I made a similar comment on your first map of this "style". I like how you are able to pack so much action into 1 screen. It think a bit of crystal energy to start with, might have made the first 30 seconds less crucial, while maintaining the overall difficulty and concept.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

PeterPower

Thanks Smiley Coder. I'm glad you liked them since your map 'Late For Dinner' was the inspiration for the puzzle-style maps I made! ;D

I think a major problem on this map was the spiral. It was actually an afterthought that I added in at the last moment as an 'artistic' feature. Turned out to be the most dangerous part of the map since it destroys the packet path to the bottom. haha.