Either max packets used or a bug...?

Started by haloguy48, June 19, 2011, 03:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haloguy48

I'm producing 60.22 energy, and when I have enough buildings being built/shooting it maxes out at -60. If I build more, the packets for everything else starts to distribute evenly. (example, 2 dark towers, and a crap ton of launcher/blaster get even ammo distributed instead of being maxed out in ammo)... Is this a bug or a set factor? can provide screenie if needed.
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

pixlepix

Yeah, its a set limit. Note that crystal energy overrides this.
I had a dream that I was playing CW2. It was fun. But, I lost :(

CobraKill

It's like OC from the first game. It can only distribute so many packets a second.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

haloguy48

Quote from: pixlepix on June 19, 2011, 06:14:20 AM

Good to remember, and thanks for clarifying.  Topic can be locked now.  ;D
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

thepenguin

Quote from: pixlepix on June 19, 2011, 06:14:20 AM

thanks to my suggestion :)
We have become the creeper...

iycgtptyarvg

What is crystal energy? Do you mean the red diamonds?

ontheworld

Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on June 21, 2011, 05:35:46 PM
What is crystal energy? Do you mean the red diamonds?

Yup, it are the red/blue/green/white diamonds

Ranakastrasz

I think that crystals being used to determine how many packets the AS can produce is a bit silly, i believe it should be either set to 60, or unlimited (or whatever the limit is with crystals)

Kamron3

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on June 21, 2011, 09:39:26 PM
I think that crystals being used to determine how many packets the AS can produce is a bit silly, i believe it should be either set to 60, or unlimited (or whatever the limit is with crystals)

I agree, it was suggested by TP in the beta.

I never liked the system. I never understood the meaning behind the limited energy output...

Blaze

The current system is fine, it stops people like me from just building 500 of everything with more then enough energy to just own everything.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Kamron3 on June 21, 2011, 10:28:57 PM

I never liked the system. I never understood the meaning behind the limited energy output...
So that's why you blame TP for that.... I get it now. O.o
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

ontheworld

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on June 22, 2011, 09:54:58 AM
Quote from: Kamron3 on June 21, 2011, 10:28:57 PM

So that's why you blame TP for that.... I get it now. O.o

The other reason being TP is.. well... TP.  ;)
But yeah, he was raging over the fact he could only  use 60 energy per second even though he had about 1000 crystal energy...

Emmote

Well, it makes a bit of sense. I mean if you have >60 energy production, you wouldn't be able to use any of the crystal energy at all if it was capped at 60 all the time, regardless.

This way, if you have crystal energy, you can SPAM buildings just to use it up.
My mind rebels against stagnation.

Ranakastrasz

I think to be more specific, is that in some of the insane code missions, they are, if not impossible, are difficult due to the need for large amounts of packets being distributed, and that you literally need to save some crystals to be able to output a sufficient amount of packets, and not even from the crystal supply, but if you have more than 60 production, and no crystals, it is capped at 60 packets, UNLESS you have some crystals, which will NOT be used up unless you hit deficit. I think that the "fix" should have made it so that if you are trying to output >60 packets, then the packets over 60 should come from crystal energy, OR should remove the packet output limitation, or increase it to 120 (I just realized the reason for the round 60 packets per second, it is limited, without crystals, to 2 packets per tick), rather than putting an "arbitrary" limit on the packet production, which Does not appear to have a good reason for it at this time, considering that there was no performance issues or otherwise for >60 output when you have crystals, or, apparently, when you have crystals, and >60 production.
Quote from: Emmote on June 22, 2011, 12:21:59 PM
Well, it makes a bit of sense. I mean if you have >60 energy production, you wouldn't be able to use any of the crystal energy at all if it was capped at 60 all the time, regardless.

This way, if you have crystal energy, you can SPAM buildings just to use it up.
Yep, If I have >60 production, I lack the ability to use it all, and it just fills up, even when I have more than 60 packets being requested per second, unless I have crystals. I would therefore like an option to lock crystal usage so it will not be able to use up my last crystal, so i can always use the higher production rate when needed.

Oh, and if the crystal's presence allows for higher packet production, why are the crystals not used up in the process of using more than 60 energy for packets?

eudrick

An option menu for crystals:  You  have a choice...use the crystals for pure energy or convert them to increased output.   The choice could be made on the tech menu and would require some amount of energy to convert them as well as destroying the crystal itself.  One might want to store up enough tech in order to max the conversion rate in one fell swoop(assuming a step build rate), rather than allow the crystals to dwindle away until the rate can be maxed  OR an extremely high amount to tech would be required for a one time action (ala the build discount).
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein