Beta 1.09

Started by knucracker, November 07, 2013, 12:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

If you see any super major issues (things introduced since 1.04) with the beta 1.09 in the sticky on this board, let me know ASAP.

12345ieee

Windows 64 bit version 1.08: every unit has the "Destroy resource pack" button in its panel.
This bug probably started (but I'm not sure) the first time I built a syphon.
I tryed restarting map and whole game, but I still see it.
This is not a "super major issue", though, I don't know if this is the right thread.

knucracker

Very odd....
My first stab at reproducing this has failed.  Can you attach the save game to this thread, or email it to support@knucklecracker.com?

--edit--
You also mention that you still see this even after restarting the entire game application?  So if you restart the game, build a Cannon, you see the misplaced button?
If so, check this log file immediately after seeing the problem (and while the game is still running).
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\CreeperWorld3\log.txt

12345ieee

Well, I can, but I don't think the issue has nothing to do with the save, I have this bug in every map I play, regardless if I loaded or restarted it.
I'll try a new clean install of v1.08 and see if it goes away.

EDIT: Even a clean install and removing the save folder didn't solve this issue, I suppose I'll stick with 1.04

knucracker

If you still see the button on other units, take a look at this log file:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\CreeperWorld3\log.txt

Take a look while the game is still running.  If there are strange exceptions there, that might be a hint.  I'm currently unable to reproduce this, and the code around it looks fine.  It could be some oddball transient issue, but if it persists across restarts of the game that is super odd.  I've had a report or two of sticky UI elements for any given run of the game, but they always resolve on a game restart and never reappear.

12345ieee

I looked at log.txt while game was running and there was nothing wrong, I did the same things with 1.04 and 1.08 and I got two identical logs (except loading times), but only one of them has this bug.
Now I'm going to try all the availlable beta builds, to see when this problem started.

EDIT: there are no longer links to 1.06 and 1.07, is it still possible to get them?

EDIT2: I figured it out from filenames, now I'll try 1.06 and 1.07 (1.05 does not seem to exist)

EDIT3: Every build except 1.04 has the same issue (and same, identical log dump), I suppose is my computer's fault (in some way) because no one else seem to have the same problem.
As long as nobody does a custom map based on resource pack destruction I'm perfectly fine with 1.04, I'll come back (if needed) when Colonial space will be released and I'll need to update to get it.

Sorry for the loss of your time.

knucracker

Was there a specific map you played that first triggered it?
Have you tried rebooting your entire machine to see if it will go away then?  There has to be some explanation for this, it's very odd.  That button is part of a panel that gets moved into and out of view based on what is selected.  It should toggle between -10000 and 110 on the x axis based on the selected unit.  When you select something other than a siphon, it should move out of the way (to -10000).  That happens in my testing.  Also, all of the other unit specific panels are handled the same way.  So you might try clicking a betha, a guppy, a bomber... do any of those have UI elements that seem to stick around?

Kharnellius

"Brian" level was counting backwards on me when I resumed a save game.  Ended up with a weird negative score, but the game never recorded I finished it or my score.

I will see if I can reproduce it for you.

Grauniad

Quote from: Kharnellius on November 08, 2013, 10:37:05 AM
"Brian" level was counting backwards on me when I resumed a save game.  Ended up with a weird negative score, but the game never recorded I finished it or my score.

I will see if I can reproduce it for you.

Did you mean "Brain?" :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kharnellius

Lol, yes!

http://imgur.com/vO5iIXz

Screenshot wouldn't work in the game for some reason.  Only on this level.  I had to make it windowed and did a screen grab.
Noticed a bunch of 10,000 scores besides mine. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sda1qdgor1i44j2/alpha_Brain-auto.cw3

Here is my save file.

knucracker

How old is this save file?  Did you make it weeks ago?  Counting backwards is probably the result of integer overflow (the counter keeps track of milliseconds).  What is happening is the game is counting all of the elapsed time from when it was first started.  So if you start the map, save it, come back three weeks later... those three weeks count :)  After around three weeks the counter overflows and goes negative.  I'll see if I can fix it up...

Now, if this map isn't very old (say the save is only minutes or hours old) let me know....

knucracker

I've updated the beta build to 1.09.  Has anyone else seen an issue with the siphon 'resource pack destroy' button always appearing?  Build a siphon on a resource pack, select it, and you will see a button that lets you destroy the resource pack.  Now click on something else like a Cannon.  Any issues?

Kharnellius

Quote from: virgilw on November 08, 2013, 01:41:42 PM
How old is this save file?  Did you make it weeks ago?  Counting backwards is probably the result of integer overflow (the counter keeps track of milliseconds).  What is happening is the game is counting all of the elapsed time from when it was first started.  So if you start the map, save it, come back three weeks later... those three weeks count :)  After around three weeks the counter overflows and goes negative.  I'll see if I can fix it up...

Now, if this map isn't very old (say the save is only minutes or hours old) let me know....
Hmm, I don't recall but I don't think it was that long.  Then again, I just realized the game has been out for over a month so it's a distinct possibility.  I assume you just had it use the mission time now, instead, so it doesn't wonk out on you, now.

knucracker

I should have it fixed up now.  The tricky part was that it used the 'ElapsedTime' CRPL call.  This call reports the amount of time that the game has been up (in milliseconds).  Not the mission, but the whole game.  I used this call since I didn't want the mission time to be affected by pausing, or speeding up/slowing down the game.  But I obviously had not handled the case of somebody saving and coming back later.  After I thought about it some more, I can see the problem could show up even on a very young save.  If you restart the game, that resets what 'ElapsedTime' was reporting.

12345ieee

I did a huge round of system cleaning and then gave a try to build 1.12 and I seem to have no more issue with Resource Packs, now everything runs as it should.
I have no idea of the cause of that strange behaviour.

PS: An option to make that yellow triangle turn again into a circle for visited planet would be appreciated (I understand it's not colorblind-friendly, but I really preferred a circle).