Custom Map #846: Chasing Struc. By: FOXX

Started by AutoPost, July 19, 2017, 10:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #846: Chasing Struc

Author: FOXX
Size: 200x300

Desc:
The Struc is Chasing you in this Sector. You need to destroy everything to win but you don't need to pick up everything. Although the Pickups are very Welcome to hold of the Struc and to Progress. Idea from Shadeofdead RunnerScript by Nicant #Struc #Runners

Johnny Haywire

I decided to collect everything and see if it's possible to hold off the struc. It's not, from what I can tell.

This is one of those maps where the LONGEST time might actually be a bit impressive, but the ever-advancing struc was giving me a facial twitch. The doctor told me that if that happens again and I rip off one more inmate's arm they'll move me to a different facility where they don't allow me to play online games. So I had to kill the last emitter.

I'll be honest - I felt pressured. Not quite as much as when I'm ordering fast food and there's a huge line behind me and they ask me if I want American or Pepper Jack cheese and they expect me to make a decision in under 30 seconds apparently. But still, it's a lotta pressure.

Some people might like that pressure. I like to just chill when I play games like this. If I'm forced to really think and engage more than 1% of my brain that upsets me and the facial twitch and arm-ripping stuff happens.

IMO, this would be a cooler map if there was a way to actually hold off the persistent ominous onslaught predicament (P.O.O.P. for short) so we could build a turtle defense against it and then go about our business.

Thanks for introducing the new ideas though. Always love your ideas. Well, usually  ;)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GoodMorning

This map persuaded me to rush faster than I have in months - I have forgotten how to use plentiful energy.

It's possible to gradually erode the Struc when you have a full fleet and nothing else to worry about. I'm in the process of eroding back to the spawner.

Edit: This is as far as I can reasonably get without constant Omni bombardment. I've run out of Hammer-space, and all I have is a Hammer (or set of improvised Hammers). Sadly, I can't gild a Hammer, and can't tune the hull build rate.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

FOXX

When i was making this Map i gradually made the Strucmaker make more Struc and see if i could counter that with Omnis and Fleet.
I think because i test played this map i didn't feel rushed anymore but still that Strucmaker does his job and in the beginning, you might think OOHH BOY that Strucmaker is going nuts. But when the Struc goes wider it slows down a bit going up. The Strucmaker moves on a steady pass.
Code used:
currentcoords 1 growstruc pop

-> Johnny, Nice comment :) [as always] The idea from this Map came when i was watching a stream from ShadeofDead. He mentioned this so not my idea this one. I just made it this creepy ;).  This map in current form is not for Turtlers but
Spoiler
i found that if your Energy is ok you can start Ramming Ships into the Struc to destroy some. Also nice to see the Struc rebuilding the Ship holes.
[close]

The code is set to 4x. When test playing i found that 5x was a bit hard and 3x a bit easy. Even with 4x i found that it is manageable to hold of the Struc.
New Easier Version
What if i set the Strucmaker to 3x and make a few normal StrucSpawners [MireSpawners] into the Map. So the threat is still there only now you can make it less by destroying these StrucSpawners? And maybe a little more Energy? That would make Turtling a bit more possible.
[close]

-> GM, i knew holding off the Struc was possible. But just looked at your save and That is quite Impressive :)
           Did you use also Ship Ramming or only Bullet Time?
And what is your opinion about an Easier or Hard Version?

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

GoodMorning

I liked this precisely as it is - so I'm not the person to ask, 'tis already in the sweet spot for me.

As to getting to that point, firepower and lathes alone were not enough to beat back the Struc, merely to slow the advance. What I did was to park the very front of each ship in the Struc (reserving the HQ a little). Effectively, I have a well-supplied Hammer the width of the entire fleet to evenly take the Struc damage. I was then able to move one ship at a time forward, and by the time I advanced the last ship, the first would have repaired due to the Struc regrowing into other hulls and being destroyed immediately. Many hands make light work.

Eventually, I got to the point you see in the save, where my "Hammer" can't close anymore due to space. I can't be bothered with Omni-ramming or ship micromanagement to get closer.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

FOXX

Nice strategy indeed. And i understand.

The balance of this map is also good for me. Knowing what to do i think i can even finish at 5x.
But after posting this map got a 1 vote within minutes so that puts this vote into a certain category.
After that i don't know the Votes.
So an easier Version will do for most players i think.

I have decided, will do an easier Version. StrucMaker set on 3x instead of 4x.
Will be ready somewhere today.

Easy Version Up -> http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=25501
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Johnny Haywire

Yeah, honestly I didn't have much of a difficult time with the map. Once I got scared, that is. I lost a mine and realized I needed to actually move fast. So I grabbed a bag of trusty Cheetos and went to work. Artificial color is good for the brain, yanno.

You really DO need to get a move on in this map. Once I got moving, I realized I didn't need to panic as much as the voices in my alternate personality's head were telling me to panic.

Just a thought (dunno if it's a good thought or even if it would work) - you could make a map with two choices: One direction would help you build a base that could hold off the struc indefinitely but would perhaps make you vulnerable to attack from enemy ships & particles. The other direction would make the map like this one - struc is ever-advancing but the other enemies are pretty easily dealt with.

I also played the easier version, and I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference. You essentially ignore the struc and just focus on killing emitters fast, and with 4 lathes that's pretty doable. =)

(I didn't try the hammer-ramming idea that GoodMorning did. His skills excel my own and I figured I'd let him try first, b/c if he can't do it there's no point in me trying)  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Oiskapunk

I don't know why the rating is so bad? Just 4/10? Seems not fair. I gave you 9/10. Finished this map with my second try. Not much time to act here. Good expert map.

FOXX

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on July 21, 2017, 01:31:11 AM
Yeah, honestly I didn't have much of a difficult time with the map. Once I got scared, that is. I lost a mine and realized I needed to actually move fast. So I grabbed a bag of trusty Cheetos and went to work. Artificial color is good for the brain, yanno.

You really DO need to get a move on in this map. Once I got moving, I realized I didn't need to panic as much as the voices in my alternate personality's head were telling me to panic.
I agree Johnny, for me it was also just doing the things needed and move on. Btw -> I love Cheetos, just finished me a bag yesterday :)
Once i've tested this a few times i didn't pay much attention to the struc. [But i did with the Runners later in Map cause they can't come to close]

QuoteJust a thought (dunno if it's a good thought or even if it would work) - you could make a map with two choices: One direction would help you build a base that could hold off the struc indefinitely but would perhaps make you vulnerable to attack from enemy ships & particles. The other direction would make the map like this one - struc is ever-advancing but the other enemies are pretty easily dealt with.
Hmm,  i've put it on the List -> Yeah i have a list now with ideas from people for making Maps.
I can see a Map out of this idea.

QuoteI also played the easier version, and I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference. You essentially ignore the struc and just focus on killing emitters fast, and with 4 lathes that's pretty doable. =)

(I didn't try the hammer-ramming idea that GoodMorning did. His skills excel my own and I figured I'd let him try first, b/c if he can't do it there's no point in me trying)  ;D
I've made the easy one cause i thouht it would be better to play for most players but the easy one also got a vote in that special category.
So i think the Runners also bother people ;)
And the strategy of GM -> at one point you gotta think "i'm going DOWN" [ghehe, that save was nice to see]

-> Oiskapunk, you cranked up the rating :)
     Thanks and nice you like the Map.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!