Stuttering and crashes since latest Adobe update

Started by Caiburn, December 21, 2015, 04:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caiburn

Hi,

Since the last Adobe update CW2 v0497 is getting stutters (increasing over playtime, as if memory leak or stalling garbage collect) and eventually crashes. It's never done that.
Anyone else having that issue?

Cheers,
Caiburn

teknotiss

haven't played cw2 in a while, just updated air and will playtest later...
what map/s were you playing?

also this topic seems similar and is recent
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=19732.0

perhaps try that advice and see what happens?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Caiburn

Re-re-re-re-played the "Rooms" map (shoutout to Chaz! We need more of that!) for the umpteenth time.

It does not seem to matter what map you play, happens with all. It does seem to matter that you actually play and not just let it sit there.

I found that at least the stutter is definitely some sort of garbage collect. CW2 process memory goes up to around 1.7GB before the game stops for half a second, memory drops to 600MB, and game continues (or crashes, after some of these cycles).

teknotiss

hmm seems Air update has broken something...
i am starting up cw2 now, see if i get the same!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

teknotiss

so far no problems, i guess it is more specific to certain machines and software setups!
hopefully V can help more...

knucracker

Good old Adobe...
I can definitely see a memory growth in CW2 when watching the performance monitor... but only after upgrading to AIR 20.  I'll continue to investigate to see what it might be related to (rendering mode maybe? who knows what they changed).  In the mean time you can go back to AIR 19:

To do that go here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html
Scroll down to "Adobe AIR 19 runtime downloads".  To install this, you have to uninstall Adobe AIR first.  Go to Add/Remove programs to uninstall adobe air.  It will tell you that you are about to break any air application on your system (Like CW1 and CW2).  Just say "ok".  After AIR is uninstalled, then you can install AIR 19 using the installer you downloaded above.  After that CW2 should start up fine.

You will have to ignore all of the prompts to upgrade to AIR 20.  If you click ok on one it will just put AIR 20 back.

I've tested this on my machine and I see a big difference in the memory usage of CW2.  I just start up a story mission (like mission 12) and play for a tad then let it run.  After 5 minutes with AIR 19 I have 130mb used memory (which is stable).  With AIR 20 I have like 600mb and growing.  Clearly they broke the !@# out of something.

I also have another potential solution... so Caiburn please email me at support@knucklecracker.com if you would like to try that.

iamltr27

Very cool to see you still actively supporting the old toys.  Kudos.