Why was healing not implemented using energy?

Started by Timwi, January 25, 2010, 09:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurzel

btw virgil about your little mortar analogy, that can be easily avoided by microing the mortar to lift off and fly away as soon as it shoots, then have it flying for a second or two before landing, shooting and lifting off again, damage in this case is incredibly minimal and the rate you can do it is as fast as you can reload the mortar

Shadow14l

Quote from: virgilw on February 17, 2010, 12:46:50 PM
The short answer is that game play would change significantly if you could put a unit in harms way, then fly it back and use excess energy to heal it rapidly.  To prevent this, units heal very slowly.  This makes your use of a mortar on a mortal bombing run something you can't really do in rapid succession.  The reason I wanted to prevent this is I didn't want people to be constantly micromanaging the flight of mortars into the creeper, and then back to heal, then back to creeper.
You don't even have to do that, it's not a valid reason because:

1. Left click mortar.
2. Left click landable spot near deep creeper.
3. As mortar is just approaching spot, (make sure the game is paused), then double tap the p key (pause, relatively fast, but doesn't require mad skills).
4. While doing this you can easily time it to once the mortar has actually let out a shot and you hear the sound, simply move your mortar away and unpause.
5. Move the mortar a slight distance away (anywhere, can be in creeper, does not matter), just enough until you know its cooldown is gone.
6. Move it back, and repeat to step 3, otherwise bring it back so it can recharge and repeat.

The mortar takes such a minimal amount of damage, that there doesn't even need to be healing, unless you accidentally mess it up, which is still rare ;)

Aurzel

dialga9182

Quote from: UpperKEES on February 04, 2010, 07:44:16 AM
Hmmm, this makes me think. Repairing might indeed not even be related to the initial cost of the weapon.

Without upgrades a blaster costs 25 energy units and a mortar costs 50. Let's say they become both damaged for 50%.

Does it take twice as long for the mortar to become healed completely, or is the healing a fixed percentage per second?
guys i think that virgil is caught up in a lot of work right now anyway

Krell

@dialga

You do realize this topic has been untouched for ages, please don't bring back old unwanted posts to life with posts that have nothing relevant to the conversation.