Custom Map #1706: off shore

Started by AutoPost, November 19, 2012, 05:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1706: off shore

Author: ea3401

Desc:

hadaly

Great map!  With unexpected solve! It likes me! thx!

Helper

Still trying to crack the code on this one. I'll monitor this thread in case anyone posts any hints.

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

burguertime

Hehe ingenious.

You gotta swim, you gotta keep the LS packet port free of creeper.

Check the map, what resources were given to you by the mapmaker?

Hints:

Click the hints in order until you get what you need to finish the map. don't read them all.

Spoiler
A collectible with a cost of 0 (or one fully paid already) can be collected by simply clicking on it, even if you cannot send a packet to its location or its, lets say, covered in creeper.
[close]

Spoiler
Blasters with increased fire rate excel at keeping thin creeper at bay.
[close]

Spoiler
A line of blasters above and below the LS with increased fire rate can keep the LS dry.
[close]

Spoiler
Watch your energy. you need makers to use the ore, and they cost 50.
[close]

Spoiler
Encase the LS in shields leaving some building space in the beginning.
[close]

Spoiler
If you cannot make a case big enough, buy packet speed.
[close]

Spoiler
If you still need space for the LS, try making the LS move up and down over the shield walls, this way it won't use up space.
[close]

Spoiler
Use the disconnect command on blasters, to make them stop requesting packets in order to save energy for other endeavours.
[close]

Spoiler
If you have to dig for ore, dig where the creeper has already emaciated the terrain.
[close]
--------------------

And yet I suspect there's some trick built in into the map to let the mapmaker get that time.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

burguertime

this map has confirmed my suspicion.

(text moved to forum sig)
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

J

here's what I did
Spoiler
I got -20% build cost, 3-4 times +10% reactor efficiency, 3x packet speed and 3x energy storage, all technytes are used now. Then I built 31 shields to hold back the first creeper. 2 blasters and 2 makers.
Spoiler
When the first remnants are free collect them by clicking them, set makers to 4x produce, the rest should be easy now =)
[close]
[close]
Thumbs up!

Ignore all downvotes, that's because it's too hard for casual players to finish on their first try. (I know how it feels to see a map voted down =P)

Coradon

Yeah that was a tough one. Shields are the only way to go, you gotta get them up and in enough layers that you can wait for the first ore to become avail. Don't use blasters until ur ship start taking damage. Once you are pumping out AC, every time more ore is exposed, pause then click it.

chwooly

to those that found this map fun, I salute you.

I don't like it, Even with the hints I find it unplayable. I play creeper for enjoyment and this map is not enjoyable for me.

Burger you might not like that people downthumb it because of that but there is no other method other then comments to show displeasure. So go ahead and make your snide remarks about this comment but to be honest your opinion is just 1 of many.  ;D

Have a great day
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Helper

Heh! I made 2 additional Makers (after I got some room) to speed things up.
It doesn't.

Coradon

Yes, please ignore the down votes. This was a very hard map and it's all about the timing. I enjoyed it even though I probably restarted it 10+ times. I would look forward to more such maps but you might want to add a *difficulty* warning for those who complain about things being too hard. Hopefully then they will just skip it rather than fail and down vote.

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

ea3401

Oh, so many comments! This map seems to be more interesting than I expected. It sounds like most of you tried to defend the center at any price. An easier way is to move the LS together with some blasters ashore to build some infrastructure first. That's a little bit faster, but maybe less fun.

chwooly

I finally beat this map, However I really didn't enjoy playing it. I found it too hard and just not enjoyable. I hope you keep making more maps just take into consideration a lot of us are casual players that don't have the skills or desire to play a map that you have about 10 seconds before you die.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Shimizu

Usually if a map is genuinely "difficult" and I can't be bothered to beat it, I'll still give it a thumbs up for stumping me.
This map unfortunately I don't find falls into that category.  This could be personal opinion, but any map which requires IMMEDIATELY pausing the game as soon as it loads  and then twitch reaction building just causes me stress and I don't find it fun.
Meow?