CW3 Hangs on Start (Steam, Big Picture, Mac)

Started by Benabik, March 11, 2016, 07:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benabik

When launching CW3 from Steam Big Picture on my Macbook Pro, it loads a big black screen and then sits there with a spinning beach ball.  Cmd-Q does not quit the app, I have to force quit it.

Disabling the Steam Overlay allows it to load.  Launching from the standard UI (with or without overlay) works.

Attached is a log file from a hung and force-quit run.

I was hoping to experiment with the Steam Controller, but it only works launched from Big Picture mode with the overlay running.  ::)

(Might I suggest allowing .log files to be uploaded so it doesn't need to be renamed?)

knucracker

I'll give this a shot myself in the next couple of days.  I have a steam controller and a mac mini, so there's some chance I can reproduce it....  That said, it certainly sounds like something the steam overlay is doing that is funky.  They update that overlay periodically so there's a fair chance they will fix it. 

Also, are you running the release of the beta of the steam client?  That could also make a difference...  Whichever you are running, I'd try the other to see if that fixes it.

Benabik

I'm usually running the Beta (at Steam's dubious advice with the controller), but I just double-checked with the standard client and the same thing happens.  :-(

Thanks for looking into it.  :-)

knucracker

I've had no luck reproducing this as of yet.  Things I can think of that you may want to try:

- Start the game in regular mode (not big picture mode) and go into the settings on the main menu and set it to open either full screen on in a window.  Then try each in big picture mode.  IOW, fiddle with the graphics and window settings and then try to launch the game in big picture mode.

- Switch back to the older version 208 of the game.  Right click the game in the steam client and go to properties, then the betas tab.  Select version 208 in the drop down.  Exit the steam client (completely) and restart it and confirm you are back on 208 (you will see 208 in the lower left hand corner of the main menu).  Give that a shot in big picture mode.

Benabik

Both the current version and v208 will hang on start as described.  However, if I set it to windowed mode it will start fine (even in Big Picture w/ overlay).  I can then use the controller and even set it to full screen without a problem.

My computer is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).  I thought it might be related to HiDPI mode, but I finally found something that let me turn it off and it still hangs when launched full screen from Big Picture Mode.  :-(

Hopefully that helps narrow down the problem and at least I can try out the controller now.  Thanks!  :-)