Creeper World 3 installation trouble.

Started by Balthasar, October 04, 2013, 07:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balthasar

So I was thrilled when CW3 came out today however I have encountered a problem that I have spent the last four hours trying to fix.

This is with both the 32x and 64x installers for windows.

I am running Windows 8.

When I attempt to install CW3 I recieve one of two error codes.

Delete file failed: code 5
or
IPersistfile::save failed; code 0x80070005

I have tried running it in compatibility mode and running it as administrator. My search online for how to fix this just led me ultimately to those two same solutions, so help would be greatly appreciated.

knucracker

Grauniad

Both of those indicate issues with authorization to access a location on your hard drive. Authorization or rights might be the issue here.

Start, as Virgil suggests, but rebooting. Make sure you run as administrator. In Windows 7 you can right-click on the downloaded file and select "Run as Administrator" - if you do not have admin privileges, you will be prompted for the Admin password).
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Balthasar

Quote from: virgilw on October 04, 2013, 07:30:27 PM
Have you tried a full reboot cycle?

Indeed I have to no avail.

Quote from: Grauniad on October 04, 2013, 07:40:00 PM
Both of those indicate issues with authorization to access a location on your hard drive. Authorization or rights might be the issue here.

Start, as Virgil suggests, but rebooting. Make sure you run as administrator. In Windows 7 you can right-click on the downloaded file and select "Run as Administrator" - if you do not have admin privileges, you will be prompted for the Admin password).
I have indeed run it as administrator (many many many times). As I stated I am using windows 8 (which also has that right click option) so the solution may be different from the previous versions of windows.

Grauniad

Was windows 8 pre-installed on your machine, or was it an upgrade? What machine make and model is it? Have you had any difficulties with installing other programs?  DO you have a specific anti-virus or are you using the built-in Windows AV?

Where do you place the file(s) that you download?

How much free disk space do you have?

Balthasar

Quote from: Grauniad on October 04, 2013, 07:59:27 PM
Was windows 8 pre-installed on your machine, or was it an upgrade? What machine make and model is it? Have you had any difficulties with installing other programs?  DO you have a specific anti-virus or are you using the built-in Windows AV?

Where do you place the file(s) that you download?

How much free disk space do you have?
Preinstalled. Asus N56DP-DH11. I have not. I use comodo. (Windows firewall and AV are disabled to prevent compatability errors with comodo) I have also shut off comodo in order to attempt the install.

In my downloads folder.

110 gigs free.

knucracker

Send me an email at support@knucklecracker.com and I have something for you to try.

Balthasar

keensta

I suggest if Virgil's fix doesn't work to delete the file delete any files that it installed reboot the system and then reinstall with a fresh download.

knucracker

In this particular case there was some strangeness going on with write permissions to the Program Files directory.  One of those oddball windows'isms.  So for anyone else experiencing a similar installation issue, double check if you can create files under Program Files. If not, then choose a different installation location when you run the CW3 installer (some place you can confirm you can write to).

Grauniad

Might be Comodo locked it down in such a way that even after disabling Comodo it remained locked.

MizInIA

just in case it comes up... you can't download the .zip for mac from a pc put it on a stick and go to the mac. it won't open right. down load from the mac and everything works great.