Custom Map #1725: Hovership Commander Mission 2. By: Argonwolf

Started by AutoPost, June 09, 2021, 07:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1725: Hovership Commander Mission 2

Author: Argonwolf
Size: 120x240

Argonwolf

Map 2 comes with some bug fixes and improvements, as well as lots and lots of enemies. As always, bug reports and general feedback are appreciated!

InwardChaos

I enjoyed the map immensely, and have no issues to report with the map itself. Might have been a bit too easy, but that just gave me time to get better at controlling the ship and managing my base.

Do note, that if you do play this map, and the previous map, without the beta, it will crash upon exiting the mission. This corrupts something in the CW4 app itself, and prevents the application from closing properly the next time you load up CW4 and attempt to exit normally. A full re-install fixes this, and thankfully CW4 is only a couple minutes to download and install.

Hopefully this is just me, and it doesn't happen to other people, but I felt it was a good idea to get this out there, along with the workaround.

Argonwolf

Oof, I've never heard of the raster bug corrupting the whole install, but yes I definitely recommend anyone playing this to install the beta first or, if necessary, wait for the game's 1.9 update. As for the difficulty, I toned it down several times since it's only Mission 2 and I want them to ramp up gradually in difficulty. It used to be spores every 30 seconds, 40 forbs max with a new one every 10 seconds and about quadruple the current amount of creeper emitted from the smaller shrines on the flanks.

Shatterstep

Not on beta, crashed in the first 10 sec. Going to wait to play these until the next update for CW4 comes out. So sad.

On the upside, it didn't corrupt my install.

Conor

Another fun map! As already stated above, this one was a lot easier but It was perfect to get better with controls and to use the sniper attachment! However, I forgot to mention on the last map as well as this one that the sprayers are not able to be picked up.

Morthica

Tried playing on BETA and not on BETA. Both attempts kept crashing the game - managed to play the previous two levels with out BETA so unsure what the issue is.

Looks like I'll have to wait  :(

Argonwolf

Quote from: Morthica on June 10, 2021, 06:33:13 AM
Tried playing on BETA and not on BETA. Both attempts kept crashing the game - managed to play the previous two levels with out BETA so unsure what the issue is.

It should work on beta. Can you make a bug report on GitHub or post your log files here on the forum so I can make one?

Morthica

Quote from: Argonwolf on June 10, 2021, 03:37:11 PM
Quote from: Morthica on June 10, 2021, 06:33:13 AM

It should work on beta. Can you make a bug report on GitHub or post your log files here on the forum so I can make one?

Managed to play 11 seconds of it this time before it crashed lol. I can do both of those yes - if you tell me where on GitHub/how to get log files :)

Niflthaena

This was a lot of fun. The production quality on the mod is incredible, and the maps are nicely designed, encouraging quick movement and unconventional tactics.

Base building is still the clumsiest part of the process; control is vastly different from conventional maps, and it suffers from the same issue PAC+Cursor maps do - the infinite, sustained main weapon is best used all the time, and any time spent building negatively impacts it. An approach that can normally mitigate this is pausing for planning and construction, but the control style here prohibits paused building, leading to a frantic split between building (often sub-optimally, to save time) and re-scanning the battle to return to the attack.
Personally, despite how cool the Orca is, I'm finding the most memorable moments here mostly work without its presence; so much time is spent on the real-time building that the titular hovership doesn't get time to shine.

One tweak that may help is allowing the build mode to track the free cursor. The player would still need to maneuver into good sight lines, but it would allow them to pause and lay things out properly, or simply use the mouse to build in a way they're more used to.

Argonwolf

Quote from: Conor on June 10, 2021, 02:17:26 AM
Another fun map! As already stated above, this one was a lot easier but It was perfect to get better with controls and to use the sniper attachment! However, I forgot to mention on the last map as well as this one that the sprayers are not able to be picked up.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I missed your comment. Sprayers can't be picked up because you can't turn off their creeper gravity fields from a script, which causes major bugs if you pick one up and drop it elsewhere while it's on, sometimes creating a permanent field (until you reload the save) if you destroy the unit. I made a point of excluding sprayers from the list of towable units in the tutorial level for just this reason, and I can assure you if I find a way to fix that bug sprayers will definitely be able to be moved in the future!

Argonwolf

Quote from: Niflthaena on June 13, 2021, 12:36:57 PM
This was a lot of fun. The production quality on the mod is incredible, and the maps are nicely designed, encouraging quick movement and unconventional tactics.

Base building is still the clumsiest part of the process; control is vastly different from conventional maps, and it suffers from the same issue PAC+Cursor maps do - the infinite, sustained main weapon is best used all the time, and any time spent building negatively impacts it. An approach that can normally mitigate this is pausing for planning and construction, but the control style here prohibits paused building, leading to a frantic split between building (often sub-optimally, to save time) and re-scanning the battle to return to the attack.
Personally, despite how cool the Orca is, I'm finding the most memorable moments here mostly work without its presence; so much time is spent on the real-time building that the titular hovership doesn't get time to shine.

One tweak that may help is allowing the build mode to track the free cursor. The player would still need to maneuver into good sight lines, but it would allow them to pause and lay things out properly, or simply use the mouse to build in a way they're more used to.

I think you'll enjoy my upcoming Total Command mode, which incorporates both the hovership mod and all vanilla base-building functionality by letting you "tab out" of your hovership to build and manage units normally from the overhead camera, while having the hovership for extra firepower.

Niflthaena

Quote from: Argonwolf on June 13, 2021, 03:48:40 PM
Quote from: Niflthaena on June 13, 2021, 12:36:57 PM
I think you'll enjoy my upcoming Total Command mode, which incorporates both the hovership mod and all vanilla base-building functionality by letting you "tab out" of your hovership to build and manage units normally from the overhead camera, while having the hovership for extra firepower.

Sounds like you're way ahead of me. I will enjoy that, thank you.

CyberDyneSystems

Absolutely loved this! The pacing seemed less hectic,. really a learning map without making me feel like an ass! :)
At the same time I could see this same map easily being "amped up" for future mission with much harder numbers once we get our feet under our flying skills. It was clear that you were pulling your punches and I appreciate that. A challenge, and a learning map that really showcases the effectiveness of this AMAZING mod!
Bravo!