Custom Map #352: Battle of Phyerus. By: 1337

Started by AutoPost, November 20, 2016, 01:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #352: Battle of Phyerus

Author: 1337
Size: 448x252

Desc:
3 years later, your empire has growned again and again, so particles are growing like always. They want to conquer the entire universe, you're the last hope to stop them! Each energy mines have different Fields. Your base has moved into another galaxy, by that you need the AMT gem factory, but the particles are blocking you way. Fields have been made by 1337. P.S : Phyeru is a battle that the Particles have been defeated in the Galaxy, in the future.

exy

So...

AAR
Spoiler
Some of the emitters are fairly weak.  Low output emitters can often be lathed by a solo HQ.  This is not a bad thing, and can be incorporated in many maps.

The other emitters have strong fields surrounding them.  And while it's tempting to do this to make particulate behave in a certain way, one should be aware of the downside of this; the strength of the field can overcome the 'magnetism' effect of nearby ships, allowing them to lathe an emitter uncontested.

In between these two effects, by starting in the North-East corner and having my HQ fly solo, I was able to manage a time of 133 seconds.

This doesn't seem fair to you, or your map, so I'm going to play the map again like I'm *supposed* to, and then I'll give you a more thorough review.
[close]

EDIT:
A fairly easy mission overall.  The enemy particulate gets spread over a wide enough area that it's fairly non-threatening.  The clumps of hard dots move slowly enough that you have more than enough time to set up shop, and they're more than manageable when do do arrive, thanks to your significant arsenal.  By investing in Def.Struc/Mine Cannons, your mines can hold their own against most of the stray particulate floating about, allowing you to mostly ignore them once they're built.   My above note about enemy fields creating blind spots in the emitter lathing range still holds; they fall fairly easily so long as you don't sit directly in their output zone.

Some other minor nitpicks:

-Grammar and spelling errors.  Not judging or anything, but they were prevalent enough I felt I ought to bring attention to them.

-I find some of your ship design choices questionable, but as ship design could take up several threads on its own, I'll just say this.  I don't think you realize just how powerful stacked lasers can be.  Those 2 Fighters at the top of the list have a disproportionate amount of firepower compared to the rest of the fleet, and are capable of engaging the hard particulate by themselves.  I'd put them at around the same strength as some of the largest stock ships, but with a significantly lower cost/build time.  Lathes are also another huge bottleneck for fleets, and by putting 2 lathes on each, they're just about all the fleet you need for this mission.

-The Ticon Turrets in the NE corner need energy to run, and as they were outside of the mine's range, they never charged or fired.

-There were several Amp Gems sitting on top of that factory, right?  Consider spreading them out a bit.  At first, I wasn't certain if it was just a factory with unlimited gems and zero build time, and it threw me for a moment when it ran out.  By not stacking them, players can also see how many free amp gems they have to work with, as there can be a significant difference in strategy even between 1 and 2.

-Omnis and land-based tech are still enabled, but there is no land for them to interact with.  I realize this is starting to be an unnecessary amount of nitpicking, but I wanted to point it out for one main reason.  Landmasses, like fields, are an excellent way to manipulate the path and flow of particulate, as well as preventing access to some of the blind spots that plagued the emitters here.  While there is nothing wrong with very open maps, I feel that ignoring land outright was a missed opportunity.

Overall, it's a pretty decent effort, but is rather unpolished, and has quite a bit of room for improvement.

chwooly

My first play thru ws 16mins, I am now down to 4+ mins and I had fun with this map. Sometimes simple maps like this are MUCH more fun then the complicated rage quit inducing maps that cartrographers are constantly trying to make popular even though they are constantly rated at the low end of the scale.  From the dialog I would guess that english is not your first language and I wouldn't worry about it unless you are trying to learn english.

Overall, It was a very fun map and I hope to see more like this in the future. Thank You

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein