Custom Map #339: Distress CH8: Evolution. By: The Isaldrian Armada

Started by AutoPost, November 16, 2016, 12:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #339: Distress CH8: Evolution

Author: The Isaldrian Armada
Size: 480x400

Desc:
A few months later, Ticon Corporation is called back to redacted space to investigate some new particulate activity.... However it is no easy mission. [BONUS LEVEL] *USE DEFAULT FLEET* [LEVEL DIFFICULTY: K.C. VETERAN]

exy

So.

I went back and played the rest of this campaign.  Perhaps some small balance issues, but balance lies on a razor edge, difficult to get just right.  Yet anything it lacks thereof, I would say it makes up for in originality.  Overall, I would rate it a bit above average.  Pretty decent, but not quite exceptional.

Regarding this map, I find I like it much more.  Enough to favorite it, even.  Much better balanced, with no gaping holes in their defences.

I like that there are more options regarding how to begin.  I decided on spawning in the lower left, then let particulate reclaim that area as I swept to the lower right to begin building my fleet.

I like that the doppel cores could be a significant nuisance without reaching the 'answer or die' territory that larger ram doppels or ships can reach.  Had a few of them hit me during an energy shortage as I was creeping up the right hand edge.  Gave me a bit of trouble as my tanker's guppies couldn't grab enough energy to sustain full operations.  Lost a crippled Hammer to that, sacrificing it to protect more critical ships.

Lost my HQ once or twice trying to take down the top-right energy mine.  Didn't realize it had a turret under it at first.  While those sniper turrets are killer, I ended up dodging its first shot on an approach, buying my HQ just barely enough time to lathe it.  Then promptly set my omnis to work taking over the top-right landmass, kekeke.

Then, while I had the Hammer/Fabricator finish off the top right structures, I had the rest of my fleet work on sweeping left across the asteroid fields.  Not too complex, but I appreciate the balance on the emitters.  There were a number of instances where I ended up sacrificing small ships to buy lathing time, as opposed to just rolling over everything.  That arm of my fleet was just engaging the top-left landmass as my omnis made large enough of an opening for my newly rebuilt sacrifices to set to work on the core mire spawner.

I also like that while I initially discounted the lower-right blue emitters as just spitting out particulate in general, once I got emitter control up I was pleasantly surprised to find I could aim them right at the core of the huge enemy struc field, as a kind of 'siege cannon'.

The whole thing ended up with both arms of my fleet converging at the top-center emitter with overwhelming force.  Is that roughly how you expected the map to go?  Definitely one of the more fun experiences I've had with the game.  Would play again.  It's a pity though, that the ratings don't reflect the quality of your work.

MisterTor

Thank you for playing my levels! I am happy to know that you enjoyed this level and pointed out what you liked, and how you managed to complete it.
I actually created this level before I saw your criticism on my previous level, so I'm relieved that I pulled it off this time.
I went by four main concepts for this map:
1. Make it a challenge the whole way through from start to finish.
2. Make sure the player isn't forced to approach it in one specific way.
3. Make sure Omni rushes are more difficult to pull off.
4. Add something new and interesting to the gameplay.

And thus, I created a better map.

Your approach to the map is absolutely fine, I sent my fleet at the top left corner before the struc surrounded the left asteroids.
I then went right through the landmasses at the top, and finally dealt with the middle whilst letting the benign emitters in the corner lay waste to the remaining struc.

It is a pity that this map isn't as highly rated as I would like it to be. It's may be due to players that don't like dealing with so much struc, or the doppel cores at the beginning. Though I'm glad you enjoyed it! Once again, thank you for playing!