CW2 Constantly Crashing

Started by Bongo, December 16, 2015, 03:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bongo

CW2 has always been rock solid. In fact I can't remember it ever crashing even once in the thousands of maps I've played but in the last week it has crashed a dozen times.

It all started almost immediately after I updated Adobe Air. The crashes always happen about 5 to 15 minutes into a map and I can't figure out exactly what triggers them. When it crashes the window minimizes and it says "Not Responding".  I'm not having any other problems with the computer, and I built it about 6 months ago.

---

Here's the Event Log info:

Windows 7 Professional (Fully Updated)

The program Creeper World 2.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: b9c
Start Time: 01d137d37a99de1a
Termination Time: 10
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 2\Creeper World 2.exe
Report Id: dd657a71-a3cb-11e5-8a8d-74d02b79fbf6

- System
  - Provider
   [ Name]  Application Hang
  - EventID 1002
   [ Qualifiers]  0
   Level 2
   Task 101
   Keywords 0x80000000000000
  - TimeCreated
   [ SystemTime]  2015-12-16T08:06:53.000000000Z
   EventRecordID 10252
   Channel Application
   Computer My_Comp
   Security
- EventData
   Creeper World 2.exe
   b9c
   01d137d37a99de1a
   C:\Program Files (x86)\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 2\Creeper World 2.exe
   dd657a71-a3cb-11e5-8a8d-74d02b79fbf6
   55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

---

I don't think the hardware is critical, and like I said CW2 ran fine for 6 months until this week.

So I was wondering:

1. Is anybody else is having these problems?
2. Is there a way to go back to the previous version of Adobe Air until this is fixed?

-Thanks

knucracker

Pick some simple map that you can leave alone (not interact with) and see if it hangs after 15 minutes of running on its on. If you can reproduce that let me know what mission you played and I'll see if I get the same results. There is always some chance they hosed something in Adobe air. If so there is also a good chance they will fix it within a few days.

Bongo

I ran memory and cpu stress tests just to make sure that wasn't the problem. My system is fine.

I did what you said but I couldn't get it to crash. Either it requires something related to ACTIVE playing (like building, or setting new dig locations) or it is related to RENDERING and won't crash while the game is minimized. I also checked the task manager, and it's not leaking memory (at least not that I can see in 3 hours of idle/active playing).

It's not unplayable, just annoying. A dozen or so crashes in like 20 to 30 hours of playing is about a crash every 1 to 4 hours. When I have some more time I will MAKE some maps that have every aspect of the game in one so I can pin down exactly what object is causing the problem.

BTW, The map that crashed the most was "Tricky Map 64" by yum234 (#2522), but last night I played it for a few hours (active and idle) and it wouldn't crash. The other maps that crashed all had Phantoms (and Coils) but that could just be a coincidence.

At least I have something to do this Christmas while all the TV shows are showing reruns... ;)

-Merry Christmas!

knucracker

Yeah, could be related to rendering which could relate it to your GPU drivers. 
If you would be up for a debug build, email me at support@knucklecracker.com.

Lioncourt

Was the problem figured out, because I have been crashing every game (different types of maps, some downloaded, some edited), but all crash since I updated.  I have no problems with anything else on my system, CW3 works perfect, but CW2 is starting to turn into the game that I fear to waste time in playing...  Just read a post about adobe, so I removed the new Air, and grabbed older 19 Air, will try that out.
The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't...

Bongo

UPDATE:

I've been busy so I haven't had time to play much. Also playing a game that crashes makes me kinda not want to play it.

2 days ago there was another update to Adobe AIR which I hoped would solve the problem. Actually now it crashes MORE and in a different (but more predictable) way. It might still be crashing in the old way, but since this crash is so much more often I never get a chance to see if that is true.

From checking my Even Logs this is what I can surmise:

Adobe AIR 19.0.0.213 Oct/16 (good)
Adobe AIR 19.0.0.241 Nov/13 (probably good)
Adobe AIR 20.0.0.204 Dec/14 (first crashing version)
Adobe AIR 20.0.0.233 Dec/31 (second crashing version, current)

How it crashes now:

It seems to happen after about 10+ minutes on a map when I open the technology upgrade screen. The screen is often visually corrupted (wrong size, jumbled) and then it crashes. Sometimes I can close the technology upgrade screen but it often crashes soon after that, usually on the next menu of any type.

- System
  - Provider
   [ Name]  Application Error
  - EventID 1000
   [ Qualifiers]  0
   Level 2
   Task 100
   Keywords 0x80000000000000
  - TimeCreated
   [ SystemTime]  2016-01-02T16:34:52.000000000Z
   EventRecordID 10745
   Channel Application
   Computer My_Comp
   Security
- EventData
   Creeper World 2.exe
   551b6709
   Adobe AIR.dll
   567b6c3e
   c0000005
   0007b7ad
   15b8
   01d14577b4ae96e5
   C:\Program Files (x86)\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 2\Creeper World 2.exe
   c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll
   bedd7c9a-b16e-11e5-9110-74d02b79fbf6

Notice that it changed from an "Application Hang" to an "Application Error" and now the Adobe_AIR.dll is now also listed (along with Creeper World 22.exe) as a faulting module.

---

When I get a chance I'm going to uninstall / reinstall Adobe AIR to version 19 and see if that helps.
( https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html )

-Happy New Year!

knucracker

There aren't officially released yet, but give this version a shot.
NOTE: UNINSTALL YOUR CURRENT CW2 FIRST!

Then download the correct one for you OS (Windows or OSX) and give it an install.
http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld2/patches/CreeperWorld2-0500-installer.zip
http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld2/patches/CreeperWorld2-0500-OSX.zip

This does not rely on the version of AIR installed on your system, but rather bundles AIR as a 'captive' runtime.  So you won't be at the mercy of Adobe's new memory leaks with this version.  If you have success with these version (including others who come along and read this thread after this post) please respond here and let me know.

mike25

Thanks Bongo and virgilw, i have  been having the exact same problem but since i only bought creeper world 2 recently, i had no idea what the issue was.

will try the new patches and report back.

Bongo

I was going to roll back AIR but I didn't really want it to annoy me the for the rest of my life to update itself.

I installed the v500 build with the integrated AIR and so far it seems rock solid. I've played about 30 hours and over 50 maps and not a single crash. One thing that I didn't notice on the old version was that it was lagging a lot. The recent map, Creeper Well (#2758) is a good example. It was almost grinding to a halt in the beginning, but v500 plays it just fine.

If I don't post again, just assume it's working fine.

-Thanks

(P.S. Can't wait for Creeper World 4!)

knucracker

Excellent... glad to hear back that it is working well. 

joshuad156

So glad I checked these forums for this problem.  I too have recently seen Air updated and started slowing and crashing on every level.  Very frustrating because I have *NEVER* seen this game crash before and I've spent hundreds of hours playing this game.  The v500 files here worked great for me too.  Thanks Virgilw for continuing to support your fantastic products.

-your customer and fan for life.

fozzy

Hi!

Just registered to say thank you. :)

Got back to platy CW after quite some time and had CW2 crash on memory.

Tuumbs up to a GREAT customer service!

Thanks! Luca