Possible bug with Blasters and Spores

Started by haloguy48, December 09, 2009, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haloguy48

I have noticed that if you have a blaster in range of when a Spore hits, the blaster will shoot where the spore landed and it seems to cancel out the spore effect... Is this by design? Or are the intensity of the spore just low enough to be killed by a single shot of a blaster?

HG48
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

knucracker

This is on purpose.... it will happen unless the spore contains so much creeper that a single shot of the Blaster can't take it out.
The effect is the same as when a Blaster caps off an emitter.  Essentially, if you can zap the creeper before it has a chance to spread out, you achieve maximum damage per energy used.

When a spore hits, it deposits its Creeper on a single cell.  If nothing is nearby, it spreads instantly to surrounding cells... and which point you have a mess on your hands.  If a blaster happens to just be nearby it can zap that cell before it spreads out (unless that cell contains more Creeper than can be killed in a single shot).

I actually use this technique on some maps.  It is really crazy and risky but you can get lucky sometimes.  If you have to build blasters in a map anyway, then a blaster nearby a critical area can operate as a really poor substitute for a SAM under emergency situations.  I've been saved a few times this way when I forgot to build a SAM in time (or couldn't).  But I have also had my tail handed to me since when a spore hits it does hit on one cell (before the blaster can take it out).  Sometimes this one cell is right on top of a collector or relay.... yikes.

Kamron3

Maybe this can coincide with a suggestion to make new Creeper:

Creeper that has more resistance to Blasters and Mortars, comes from spores, and kills buildings(civilian and military) instantly. It also recedes after impact.

haloguy48

Thanks for such a quick response time! I was playing 'under siege' and noticed this. It saved me tons the  close spores near them. After that I just died.  :-[

and to Kamron3, I think just upgrading the intensity can kind of equal a 'resistance' to them.

~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

Kamron3

Yes, this is true. But others were wanting upgraded Creeper, or different kinds of Creeper to play with. =)

Aurzel

i've noticed to how lucky i can get when a spore lands near a blaster seeing as i more often than not forget to build a sam for the first wave

redflame

gues i'm not the only one who forgots to build sams at the first wave. i always get unlucky, 50% of the time the spore disconnects my city from my entire network o.0
Dont trust who you cant trust.
Kick em when their down

GatRemag

Aurzel

i feel your pain redflame
(rhyming couplets anyone? XD)