No graphics card, a problem?

Started by waltermh, October 29, 2013, 03:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltermh

I can run Creeper world 1 and 2, but I know that 3 uses unity. My graphics card in this laptop fried and its my only computer and I cant get another one for a month or 2.
I downloaded the demo and installed it and it crashed before the game even loaded.

I assume that I need a graphics card for this to work?

If so, I sadly cant play this for awhile T_T

Grauniad

Creeper World 3 relies on a graphics card to render terrain and those nifty little units. Many newer processors such as the AMD A-Series and Intel Core  series have sufficient built-in graphics  capability to be usable.

If you have no graphics capability, you would not even be able to run Windows. So it may be any number of other issues, but you did not mention your processor type or the exact nature of the crash, so I can't give you any more advice.

You can provide the make/model of your laptop.

To determine what drives the windows desktop, if you download and install Piriform Speccy, you can attach the output of that here so we can see what capabilities remain.

You can also provide more detail about the exact nature of the crash. That may help.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

waltermh

Yes, I will download speccy and send specs soon but for now, here is the log file from creeper world
But I assume the built in gpu is working. It had a Nvidia mobile gpu, forget the model but if you look up the Asus Gamer laptop G74 you will see my specs.
Nvidia GPU fried so it is using intel GPU.
I have an i7 CPU I believe.

Log file attached.

waltermh

It says to save snapshot, is this what your looking for?
Speccy snapshot attached.

Michionlion

An Intel GPU should be enough, and I don't see any errors relating to GPU's in the log...  I can't view your speccy info, but any above an Intel HD or GMA 900 should be sufficient.  If you have a modern Intel CPU, then you probably have an Intel HD 3000 or 4400.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

Quote from: Michionlion on November 06, 2013, 08:29:50 AM
I don't see any errors relating to GPU's in the log... 

There is a boat load of GPU-related errors in the log. I've asked Virgil to take a look and see if he has any suggestions other than to fix/replace the GPU.

Speccy does see the GPU, which means that by "fried" the OP meant something other than "totally disabled", since it's sending some information that Speccy can detect. OTOH, Speccy doesn't detect an on-board GPU.

knucracker

I'd star by just running dxdiag and clicking on the Display tab.  Id the directx installation is messed up, that may shed some light.
Click the start button, in the search box type "dxdiag".  On windows 8, I guess you do the search from the charm bar.

If it runs, take a screenshot of the Display tab and post it here.

Michionlion

Quote from: Grauniad on November 06, 2013, 08:49:46 AM
Quote from: Michionlion on November 06, 2013, 08:29:50 AM
I don't see any errors relating to GPU's in the log... 

There is a boat load of GPU-related errors in the log. I've asked Virgil to take a look and see if he has any suggestions other than to fix/replace the GPU.

Speccy does see the GPU, which means that by "fried" the OP meant something other than "totally disabled", since it's sending some information that Speccy can detect. OTOH, Speccy doesn't detect an on-board GPU.

Could you point them out?  I don't actually see anything other than the list of files... 

PS: If this post seems like hijacking the thread, feel free to remove it.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

Quote from: Michionlion on November 06, 2013, 11:35:58 AM
Could you point them out?  I don't actually see anything other than the list of files...  

OK, the first part is his log with errors. I've highlighted some . The second part is my log file without errors. Compare the two.

His:

Initialize engine version: 4.2.0f4 (38efbd14869d)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
d3d: no support for this device type (accelerated/ref)
D3D9 initialization failed, trying OpenGL
OpenGL:
   Version:  OpenGL 1.1 [1.1.0]
   Renderer: GDI Generic
   Vendor:   Microsoft Corporation
   VRAM:     64 MB (via fallback)
   Extensions: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
   WGL extensions: none!
GL: disabling multisample because WGL_ARB_pixel_format not fully supported
GLContext: failed to activate 10000: The requested resource is in use.

Unsupported: Hidden/InternalClear
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3 DEMO\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.053 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1280x1024 0Hz; virtual: 1280x1024 at 0,0
Crash!!!

Mine:
Initialize engine version: 4.2.2f1 (54f0fc09defb)
Direct3D:
   Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx64.dll 8.17.10.1230]
   Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
   Vendor:   ATI
   VRAM:     3030 MB (via DXGI)
   Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 DF24=1 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=1
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.038 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1200 60Hz; virtual: 3600x1200 at -1680,0
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Creeper World 3\CW3_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
UnloadTime: 0.317734 ms
Game Version: 1.06

waltermh

I will explain why I say fried.
In the past, I started getting issues where the computer would start to mess up. It was fine if I could boot it up, but it got a little hot and it would shut down or something. Its bene 6 months I think, I cant remember exact symptom.
I do remember that it got to a point where I couldnt even boot up the system most of the time. It was luck to be able to get into windows.
I could boot into safe mode. I am good enough with computers to do my own tests, and I determined that the gpu was the problem.

I uninstalled the nvidia drivers and made sure the internal was in use. I guarantee there is no nvidia driver installed here.
I even tried multiple versions of direct x. Nothing worked but when i uninstalled, things work. Now the computer is a little more sluggish, but it must be running on the internal GPU.

Of course maybe I am not advanced enough to really understand whats going on.
I went to device drivers and for display adapters it does say nvidia card with this error message
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

---------------
As for dxdiag, here is the complete info
I wish I knew what the deal with the gpu driver issue was, I would love it if my GPU didnt really die, but i couldnt figure anything else out that could be the problem. I brought it to a small shop where they also couldnt figure out the problem.

I attached dxdiag info.

Grauniad

Here's what I see: You're not using the Internal GPU. In fact, nowhere in any of the system information does it show the internal GPU being present even.

Here is a small clip from my Speccy. See the Internal Intel GPU and my graphics card?

Now by your own admission you have been messing around with graphics drivers and whatnot, while at the same time admitting that you don't really know enough to know what you are doing. You have a rather nice laptop, one of the Asus RoG laptops with 12 GB memory. My advice is that you find a PC tech in your area, take the PC to him and have him help you troubleshoot it. Maybe it's s trivial as blowing dust out of the fan vents so it ventilates better and doesn't overheat.

But we can't help you further.

waltermh

I know enough to troubleshoot tech problems. I do computer repair for myself and others for 10 years.
I didnt just mess with the drivers, when I booted into safe mode and tried to check the different hardware, everything came up good. By process of elimination, I came to the conclusion that the gpu was the problem. I uninstalled the drivers and everything is fine. I am simplifying all the steps I went through, but I was extensive with my testing of the problem, along with the repair shops I checked with.
But since I dont have nvidia drivers installed, I wonder how its working?

I am not an expert, just intermediate I guess, but its the first time I have been stumped. But then laptops being a closed system, I couldnt exactly open it up, move in and out hardware etc...
I will take it to another shop and see what happens. Hopefully do it soon. I need a new laptop anyway as I find better specs now for almost half the price and half the size (the most important reason :P)

Anyway, thanks, maybe this has turned out better if I can fix this thing. I still need it for a month anyway and can sell a working laptop for more than a broken one :P

Grayzzur

If you've uninstalled the nVidia drivers, you're either running on the internal Intel HD GPU, or you're running on the nVidia GPU using the Windows default drivers (slow and very basic to no 3D support) -- or maybe even running on the Intel GPU with Windows default drivers.

Installing the proper Intel video drivers for your CPU might get you some halfway decent 3D performance.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

waltermh

hmm, I actually did make sure I had all of the intel drivers, but maybe it just didnt switch to the internal gpu by default. It should have one.

So it must have stayed on the nvidia gpu and just used the default drivers :(
This was my first laptop so I guess I am still learning about them. I love desktops, but now I travel all the time, so have to use these closed box systems :(
Oh well, thanks, I will find out how to turn on the intel gpu.

Grayzzur

On a desktop, there's typically a different physical video plug on the computer for the internal GPU. For a laptop, not sure if they took that into account to allow you to use it. There may be a switch, or a separate plug, or it may just be unavailable. "Consult your owner's manual."

Or check with Asus tech support. They're usually really good about responding to RoG equipment owners. Even if you're out of warranty, they ought to be able to tell you how to switch video chips, or if it's possible.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker