Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1495: A Structural Maze

Author: Kongdej
Size: 256x144

Desc:
Quick map, because I was bored, inspired by an older map called "Grid"

reddwarf12

I got a bit frustrated figuring out how to start, but that's often true of maps I end up thoroughly enjoying. That's what happened here. Shrewd map - thanks for creating. I got 13 minutes; going to go back to try to beat average time.

chwooly

Fun little map, Thanks for making it, It was a little frustrating at first and I hate having to restart however it does make you think which is a good thing.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

sky_killer

so, how to survive the start?

edit: figured it out myself. thanks.

Kongdej

If you're having trouble
Spoiler

picking up extra omnis can help, but is not mandatory.
You need to convert as many as the struc generating flip emitters as possible
  - To add to this, I found out (after making the map actually) that the right side of the map have more emitters than the left)
To help with reach, grab either of the extra energy sources north or south of your base
When you grabbed the energy source with a wide area, poach as many undefended emitters as possible, not that some emitters can be acquired from deceptively far away ( https://prnt.sc/r8g56s ) (Arrows are reach, squares are me rebuilding to save time)
Omnis should always be relocated to grab things and not build struc
Getting omni reactors and build speed can help, then instead of moving most omnis you can delete and rebuild (remember to rebuild in safe locations)
If speed is difficult, you can grab upwards of 8 omnis from the start area, and that if used properly can speed your progression up a bunch.
After grabbing the 4 start items with your HQ, you can flip it to lathe 2 of the nearby emitters.

Other notable upgrades include omni cannons to shoot struc and mire.

[close]
An editors note is, I added some friendly struc after playtesting the map to give the player a smidge more time, but in retrospect I should have added more, so new players would have more time to figure movement out.

chwooly

Quote from: Kongdej on February 27, 2020, 06:55:14 AM
If you're having trouble
Spoiler

picking up extra omnis can help, but is not mandatory.
You need to convert as many as the struc generating flip emitters as possible
  - To add to this, I found out (after making the map actually) that the right side of the map have more emitters than the left)
To help with reach, grab either of the extra energy sources north or south of your base
When you grabbed the energy source with a wide area, poach as many undefended emitters as possible, not that some emitters can be acquired from deceptively far away ( https://prnt.sc/r8g56s ) (Arrows are reach, squares are me rebuilding to save time)
Omnis should always be relocated to grab things and not build struc
Getting omni reactors and build speed can help, then instead of moving most omnis you can delete and rebuild (remember to rebuild in safe locations)
If speed is difficult, you can grab upwards of 8 omnis from the start area, and that if used properly can speed your progression up a bunch.
After grabbing the 4 start items with your HQ, you can flip it to lathe 2 of the nearby emitters.

Other notable upgrades include omni cannons to shoot struc and mire.

[close]
An editors note is, I added some friendly struc after playtesting the map to give the player a smidge more time, but in retrospect I should have added more, so new players would have more time to figure movement out.

Those are all good tips, I also would add
Spoiler
There are 2 spots on either side of the starting point that enemy structure doesn't build, If you use rock burner you can make a spot for your HQ to stay. Then if you need to just move the rock burner gem to another needed upgrade.
[close]
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

CyberDyneSystems

Fantastic Map!!! Really loved it. I'd like very much to see more with this idea.

reddwarf12

I've probably played this three dozen times over the last week. I finally beat the average time (heh...my goals may be humble, but they're mine.)  :)

Love the thinking element, the puzzle solving, and the precision required. Like someone else said, I'm really looking forward to more like this.