Best of the Alpha Sector

Started by TonyP2000, October 05, 2013, 09:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helper

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on December 15, 2013, 10:41:45 AM
So far I've been overwhelmed every time.

Here is a 2 minute screen shot for 'Earth'. From this point, you can defend easily and begin building up for your attacks.

TonyP2000

I liked Earth too, awesome map.

Quote from: Helper on December 18, 2013, 09:08:57 AM

Here is a 2 minute screen shot for 'Earth'. From this point, you can defend easily and begin building up for your attacks.

I also found it useful to drop a CN on Canada and defend from there as well, it gets you nice in close to the emitters in the Atlantic Ocean.
Vote Tony!

Randomgold

Ok, I gotta know something.  Did anyone enjoy using the terp on the 'Earth' map a little too much, or was it just me?

Zaggy

I love terping, I did enough to add some walls around the oceans so I could build up and take out emitters in the north.  I started in the southeast, but expanded across the whole bottom pretty fast, and terped up a little more of Antarctica so I could get more green space, and use mortars to keep the thick creeper from flowing over.  Just using mortars and blasters were all the weapons I needed to reach the emitters.

teknotiss

Quote from: TonyP2000 on October 06, 2013, 05:30:28 PM
Give "Earth" by Fisherck a try. Good throw back to the CW1 days.

"overwhelmed" by creeper? or by the map?
cos if it's creeper i thought earth was pretty gentle.
i played first on antartica, slow but not too bad, spread out and mortars are your friends on this map.
i've played from north/south america too and that was much quicker, i could get more ac faster on that try.
i killed the north atlantic emitter and put a shield on it and the game was basically mine.
on my first go i terped from antartica to aus then to japan, i went a bit terp-crazy, it happens sometimes  ::)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

PMouser

huh, i cant seem to get the right balance between beam and energy, had to give up. help please, thanks
on the medroid map
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

Helper

Quote from: PMouser on December 22, 2013, 08:07:14 AM
huh, i cant seem to get the right balance between beam and energy, had to give up. help please, thanks
on the medroid map

You need to more clearly identify the map.
If you post a screen shot of your game in progress, it will help us help you.
H

pawel345

I made some screenshots of my beginning in Metroid, hope they help.

Grauniad

Quote from: PMouser on December 22, 2013, 08:07:14 AM
on the medroid map

Metroid has a very difficult start. You have to get the two CNs down and connected and several Beams up to defend against the spores. Don't expand too widely, concentrate on defending a small area and growing a reactor farm.  I think on my first play, I had about 10 restarts. Now I can get away with success every 2nd-3rd restart.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Helper

Here is a screen grab at the :44 mark.
Your primary concern is that Spore coming down from due North.
Build a small spread of Collectors (as mentioned by G), then start your first Beam at about :30
You will need 2-3 more Beams down the right side of your base, but you have some extra time to get those in place.
Once your Beams are in place, keep the same Collector footprint, but add Reactors to build your energy.
Save your game about every 20-30 seconds.
Adding a couple Cannons and a Sprayer will keep you safe from the Creeper until you can build up for your attack.

:44

4:00

PMouser

how come you used both orbitors? and how did you do all that on so little energy, i was really energy depleted when i gave up and came to you guys. thanks for your time.
I tried it, and still lose stuff what am i doing wrong? i cant stop that creeper on lower sw and i got hit buy a spore
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

Michionlion

Quote from: PMouser on December 22, 2013, 02:48:11 PM
how come you used both orbitors? and how did you do all that on so little energy, i was really energy depleted when i gave up and came to you guys. thanks for your time.

Um... the second CN gives you more energy.  *facepalm*
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Helper

Pmouser -
What you call the 'orbitors' is a Command Node/Nodule (CN), and in all cases you need to get them on the ground ASAP. Each CN contains xReactors and everyone should use them to build out their energy network. Not using one in like driving your car with one foot on the brake.

Get both of them on the ground and then start building your collectors - two at a time to start, then increasing as your power builds up. Take care to not run deficits on your energy.

There is a link around here somewhere (help anyone?), that describes each of the units plus a bit about how to deploy them.

teknotiss

I tried it, and still lose stuff what am i doing wrong? i cant stop that creeper on lower sw and i got hit buy a spore

CN's give 1.5 energy each, so landing as many as possible as early as possible is a good general rule  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Helper

You need to give us more information.
Keeping in mind the old axiom that a picture is worth 1,000 words, hit the "F12" key to get a screen save of your game.
Doing that will store a .jpg at:
C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\CreeperWorld3\Screenshots
Attach the .jpg file to your next post.
Using the F12 will give us what we need to give you better advice.