Recommending removing demo version

Started by TRYER, April 12, 2010, 03:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRYER

Don't know if this is the right page for this. I have seen that there is a pirate version of this (Pirate Bay). And from the notes, it says that you need the demo to play it. There are still lot of sites that you posted this game on like Kongregate.

I just thought this is a great game. And not every game should be pirated like this one.

Karsten75

Actually, I don't think it matters a lot. from what I've seen, a number of those who have used the pirated version has come here with issues about being unable to utilize the features of the full game. Thing was that at one point in time, the front screen had the version hard-coded on it. So if you used the demo version to "unlock" the pirated game, then it would appear as if you had the full game, yet you could not play any of the full game features.

But hey, I'm sure Virgil appreciates any pointers to issues with his game out there in the wild Interwebz.

archn

I don't think the pirates can use crazonium walls.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Echo51

Pirates have cracked 380, i found it...
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Daos

Most people who use pirate websites are not going to buy a game anyway. There are guys who would aquire a game on the legal way after a while, if the disire to play it equals the money they can/want to spent for it.

I think the owner of the rights to distribute a game have to balance the costs of legal actions against the profit caused by the "converted buyers".

Personaly I think that buying a game is a message to the writers of a game, that tells them "Hey, I think I like your game and that is your reward". Pirates should know, if they do not tell this, then the games that they so desperately want to illegal play will not have a sequel, becuase the writer thinks "meh ... noone liked my game".

kakben

I totally agree with you Daos. In addition, this is a quite affordable game compared to the big titles out there. I never buy games I find too expensive but this jewel is definately worth what it costs.

redflame

very true, actualy that there is a pirate version of the game is a compliment. since it means that at least 1 guy has taken the effort and time to crack the game and put it online.
Dont trust who you cant trust.
Kick em when their down

knucracker

You wouldn't believe the google alerts I get daily for "Creeper World" that link to warez sites, forums, torrents, etc.  Of course this kind of thing is true for many games.  I don't worry too much about it because I can't do much about it.  I can hope at the end of the day that people of good worth will ultimately decide to do the right thing.

As Daos said, sales to a developer are statements that say "yes, keep working and making new games".

archn

wow i did a search for: creeper world 0380
and the crack beat out the official site... it's like even a legit person searches, they're directed to get it free rather than pay.

guess i was wrong about the crazonium.

knucracker

The pirates always put the version name in the title and this gets referenced all over creation.  So 0346 on the end of Creeper World will produce the same results.  Most people who hear about the game will just search for "Creeper World" though.

I know that there are some people who are just rotten to the core, and beyond redemption.  But I choose to believe that most people who pirate the game, when reminded of their own morality, will often choose to do the right thing.

Aurzel

also many people who find the game find it by way of the training sim on various games sites which has a link to the knuckle cracker website and as virgil said, most people googling will go for creeper world which will pop up kunckle cracker first, anyone else is either going to be specifically searching for a way to get it free and cant be saved or is one of those 'converted buyers' a daos put it

Mrmcdeath

I wanted to play a game so bad once that I had no money to buy, so I bought the illegal cracked version, and then when I had the money I actually bought the game.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

Karsten75

Quote from: Mrmcdeath on April 17, 2010, 06:48:34 PM
I wanted to play a game so bad once that I had no money to buy, so I bought the illegal cracked version, and then when I had the money I actually bought the game.

You*bought* the illegal version? How does that work?

Mrmcdeath

it happens like this *facepalm*  :-X
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.