Increase the complexity of CPRL tower scripts

Started by Kingo, December 18, 2012, 06:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingo

Yes, I know CPRL towers JUST were officially announced yesterday, but I think it would be a good idea to keep expanding the scripting support for mutliple things.
It's really an interesting idea, and I believe Virgil did an excellent job with it.
I can't wait for CW3 mostly because of this feature.

Karsten75

Mozart: I've written a new symphony.
Kingo: Make sure you add more notes...

Kingo

Karsten, I originally made this post to put the idea IN GENERAL, but I suppose i'll elaborate a little.
I think adding AI support for a person's network and infrastructure (as in packet regulation, constructing buildings, etc) would make it much more interesting.
The ability to contain creeper in a certain area would be useful.

Michionlion

Actually, I think that expanding this into player unit scripting - one unit that is a 'custom' scripted unit - could be really cool.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

lurkily

Player units are exponentially more complex than creeper units, though . . . I mean, an emitter just sets creeper to a certain level every x frames.  A relay (Simplest player unit I know) has to respect network rules, has to conduct player packets, has to use a certain speed to conduct them, has to destroy itself when it's over creeper, must NOT be destroyed by nullifiers (As I assume CRPL towers will be by default,) and, though I think players shouldn't be able to build customized units willy-nilly, must also be buildable and able to regulate its cost and request rate.

Even the most complex creeper unit is nowhere near as intricate.  Let's not even start talking about Pulse Cannons.

We're talking about a really big, heavy list of attributes and properties that player units have that would need to be supported.

ShadowDragon7015

Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

lurkily

Not in comparison to a blaster, not really.

X health.  If creeper is nearby, heal by Y amount every Z frames.  Take damage from DB's.  Don't take damage from nullifiers. I can't remember if that's every last behavior it exhibited - I wasn't a fan of the final  level, and tend to avoid customs with a nexus in it.

A blaster needs a lot more.

What's my total health?  Current health?  Do I care if I am in supply range?  Am I in supply range?  Can I shoot?  Weapon range?  Rate of fire?  Range of fire?  Weapon type?  Beam AoE?  Depth to which I damage?  Move speed?  What upgrades do I respect? Does Creeper damage me?  How fast?  Do drones damage me?  How much?  What is every single target that is acceptable to fire upon?  What targets do I fire on first?  How do I target?  (Deepest in range?  closest?  Which cell, if two cells are equally weighted targets?)  What is my cost to build?  Am I capable of requesting ammo?  How much?  How fast? How much ammo do I get per packet?  How much ammo do I dump per shot?

Ronini

Planning, managing and balancing packet distribution is one of the main tasks that make Creeper World Creeper World. Taking that away by transferring it to an AI is not a good idea, in my opinion.
Giving relays (probably collectors, too) an ability to block certain package types on the other hand could prove away to provide what you wanted, but still leave the player in controll. Yes, it would mean more micro-management, but since it would be an option, not a requirement, that would be okay.

Maybe an example will help to illustrate:
Let's say you began construction of a new field of collectors to the south of your base. Meanwhile, your constructing a PC to the north. Suddenly you realise that you underestimated the creeper's advance rate and need to complete the PC more quickly. Rather than having to deactivate all of the structures still under construction in the south, you simply deactivate construction packet transmission on the (or two or three) choking points that connect the south area to your CN. All construction now goes to the PC, but the already completed collectors in the south are not cut off entirely, so you still get their energy production. When the PC is finished, you unlock the packet transmission again, and construction on the collectors resumes.

Chawe800

Personally I would like constant adding to the list of commands as time progresses after the game is released. I would love it if Virgil added more commands if enough people truly wish to incorporate it. Like how Lurkily said I don't think using the CRPL for a player's unit would work very well. Also it can create Anticreeper so players could use that effectively.

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Ronini

Just to clarify: Players won't be able to use the CRPL at all, will they? It's map makers who will.

lurkily

Unless a structure for implementing a player command structure is implemented, it doesn't seem like it - mappers would have to script a tower's response to player activity in order to make it respond to the player.

That doesn't mean they could script complex behavior in response to player behavior - for instance, make a few platforms of cells, and place a unit in one of them to specify certain behaviors.

Kingo

I think CPRL towers should be used exclusively by map makers.
You could easily cheat to win with this function, and it kind of makes more sense as a map-maker tool rather than a tool for players to use on the battlefield.

lurkily

Quote from: Kingo on December 19, 2012, 06:34:47 PM
I think CPRL towers should be used exclusively by map makers.
You could easily cheat to win with this function, and it kind of makes more sense as a map-maker tool rather than a tool for players to use on the battlefield.
I think that's the whole idea.

ShadowDragon7015

Quote from: lurkily on December 19, 2012, 09:02:04 PM
Virgil did put the CRPL tower in the video while he showed some of the things that you can do with the map editor.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

lurkily

Quote from: ShadowDragon7015 on December 20, 2012, 06:07:31 PM
Quote from: lurkily on December 19, 2012, 09:02:04 PM
Virgil did put the CRPL tower in the video while he showed some of the things that you can do with the map editor.
Yes?  I'm not sure I see the relevance to what you quoted . . .

To clarify, I think the whole idea behind CRPL towers is that they be used exclusively by map-makers, and their access by players limited only to having the mapper's code implemented in gameplay - thus the only way a player can manipulate a tower is a way that a mapper dictate that a player be able to manipulate it.