Custom Map #2065: Fifteen. By: CS Z

Started by AutoPost, July 26, 2021, 04:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2065: Fifteen

Author: CS Z
Size: 120x120

CS Z

Okay, this map is quirky, experimental, and there are some very strange bugs that you will run into.

First off, you'll note that there are no enemy units on the map...at first.  That's because they are randomly placed on the map after the mouse has been moved around a little.  If you don't like the placement, just restart the mission until you like the placement.  My goal here was to increase replay value by making no two missions identical.  For my playthrough, I wound up playing one of the hardest starts.

Next, you'll run into the first quirk/bug:  Towers and Pylons start doing crazy things you've probably never seen before.  I believe the game maintains linkage between Towers/Pylons regardless of their distance on the map once they've been placed.  In addition, Soylent resets for Towers that have been moved.

Then you'll run into the next quirk/bug:  Cannons and mortars stop firing at creeper once they've been forcefully moved to a new map position.  The fix is to select the unit and tell it to move to its current position.  Then the units will start firing at creeper again.  I'm not quite sure why this bug happens.  Maybe it gets confused about line-of-sight (LOS) calculations or something and therefore can't see the creeper.

And, of course, you may run into the quirk/bug where land moves while moving units to that land.  If a unit lands on void or uneven terrain, it'll almost certainly explode upon reaching its destination.  There's probably a fix in 4RPL to check for moving units to a specific position and then adjust where they are moving to.

I'm sure there are plenty of other quirks/bugs that will pop up but those are the ones I know about.  I'm more interested to know if there is noticeable lag whenever the land moves.  But also whether or not this type of map is fun or at least an interesting diversion.

Durikkan

The movement lag is not really noticeable even on my old computer. 

This reminds me of #886, though this puts a bit of a different spin on it. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.