Custom Map #2061: FPS: Creeper Hive. By: phischphood

Started by AutoPost, July 25, 2021, 01:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2061: FPS: Creeper Hive

Author: phischphood
Size: 192x120

Niflthaena

Ahh, I've missed this style of map. Good choice, good work.

Few bits of critique:

• The terrain's a little flat. You can use the fractal tool to generate more natural terrain and use that as the base for the map - you can even apply different terrain settings to different rooms.
  • The Crazonium walls atop the map can be avoided. Qople's maps include a script that automatically walls off any 20-high terrain and hide those walls out of sight. Check out Anti Up or Whole Wide World.
  • The rooms feel a little claustrophobic; it'd be nice if they could be wider, and maybe raise the floor a little - less tiny corridors with giant walls.
  • It'd be nice if the upgrade boxes told the player what they do. The map data looks like you tried to do that, but the messages aren't showing up.

InwardChaos

One last note to add on: unpathable terrain (the area outside the rooms) should be made into void instead of normal ground. This will cause creeper and Anti-creep to dissipate rapidly if they escape the confines of the play area. (which it did in my run out of the north-eastern room) If too much escapes and pools outside the play area, it could lead to a situation where the Reclaim objective becomes impossible to complete.

Granted, the player could use the same location where the creeper escaped to shoot AC into the out-of-bounds area, but its always a good idea to shore up as many sources of user-error as possible.

phischphood

Quote from: Niflthaena on July 25, 2021, 01:49:33 PM
Ahh, I've missed this style of map. Good choice, good work.

Few bits of critique:

• The terrain's a little flat. You can use the fractal tool to generate more natural terrain and use that as the base for the map - you can even apply different terrain settings to different rooms.
  • The Crazonium walls atop the map can be avoided. Qople's maps include a script that automatically walls off any 20-high terrain and hide those walls out of sight. Check out Anti Up or Whole Wide World.
  • The rooms feel a little claustrophobic; it'd be nice if they could be wider, and maybe raise the floor a little - less tiny corridors with giant walls.
  • It'd be nice if the upgrade boxes told the player what they do. The map data looks like you tried to do that, but the messages aren't showing up.

Thanks for the heads-up about the walls script. Do you know how to get the message boxes to show up? I'd tried several ways and it didn't work.

Quote from: InwardChaos on July 25, 2021, 02:31:53 PM
One last note to add on: unpathable terrain (the area outside the rooms) should be made into void instead of normal ground. This will cause creeper and Anti-creep to dissipate rapidly if they escape the confines of the play area. (which it did in my run out of the north-eastern room) If too much escapes and pools outside the play area, it could lead to a situation where the Reclaim objective becomes impossible to complete.

Granted, the player could use the same location where the creeper escaped to shoot AC into the out-of-bounds area, but its always a good idea to shore up as many sources of user-error as possible.
Is void just terrain level 0? Good shout.

phischphood

I just tried adding the walls script, but it didn't work, creeper was still getting over walls.

Durikkan

For the message boxes, you have to create an ada message named message, and also click the +text button inside of it to give the message a text field. 

For the walls, make sure the package manger / global control / misc settings / use wall override is set to 1, and then all height 20 terrain should function as if they were something like 2000 units high.  You might possibly have to recompile, or save the map and reload it before it takes effect.   

Yes, void is terrain level 0 in the editor.
I'm known as Auri in cw4.