Custom Map #1371: Need Star Destroyers. By: UEF Inc.

Started by AutoPost, April 06, 2019, 01:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1371: Need Star Destroyers

Author: UEF Inc.
Size: 500x500

Desc:
Very long and difficult.

yum-forum

Yah! Very long and difficult like Sorrontis type!  :o
Looks like particles more rigid than usual. Mirrow types of enemies also evil...
Interesting and thanks!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

CyberDyneSystems

Holy smokes!
I quit this 4 times in frustration...  :o ???

But I kept coming back, and fighting it out.
Wow.

What a battle.

Thanks! I rated it 10, despite my frustration with it.

toolforger

Quit in disgust.
Got the shipyards disabled, started cleaning up the emitters, was thinking about how to deal with the buildup.
Just to got the HQ randomly killed. Well, not randomly, it just happened in a faraway part of the map and I was concentrating on the battle in the NE corner. And that idiot NPC star destroyer wasn't strong enough to protect the HQ... I hate to have to restart multiple times just to find a safe spot for the HQ.
As I said: I quit in disgust. The initial challenge was nice, and keeping everything stable in mid-game was pretty interesting, too, but turning that HQ into an achilles heel wasn't good. Try to find a way to make it non-sudden-death next time, please.

Spaartan

Heeeey...

Those ships look very familiar, like 2017 familiar...

https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=25386.msg164074#msg164074
I know I haven't been on much, but credit would be nice
At the end of the game, the Queen and the Pawn are put in the same box.

Silius

Okay, this map is utterly bogus. Much like what toolforger said, the HQ is such an achille's heel that completing this map is madness inducing. No matter what I do, there is not a single ship I can find that can protect my HQ while I desperately try to make a dent. That NPC ship is borderline useless in the attempt. My advice: Remake this map and remove three of those ship spawners since those are the absolute worst of it all, that'd make the map on a difficulty of Sleeper Galaxy ep1 from replicator.

teknotiss

bit of necromancy here i know but i was replaying some old PF maps and i remembered this one as frustrating, checked the forums and saw people were having some difficulty a few years back and i think i know what is the problem and how to avoid it.

some people (including me) had the command ship killed (while focused elsewhere) and since it is a "1 life" map that is very annoying.

i think the cause is the particles that are "trapped" in the corners, sometimes these particles suddenly , and violently, accelerate out of one corner and across the map along the edges and across the map diagonally which can result in a command ship kill unexpectedly.

to avoid this look at the white lines that are criss crossing the map, these seem to mark the paths that the trapped particles will follow if they get unstuck and shoot out of the corners.

for me i put the CS to the lower diagonal left of the first energy mine, and then placed the small CARRACK ship between the CS and the oncoming particles, along with the AI controlled friendly ship that seemed to be enough to defend the CS for me!

hope that helps anyone who is frustrated in future... :)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus