Question to Virgil

Started by Clean0nion, November 19, 2013, 12:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

How often do you Crack your Knuckles?

knucracker

asmussen

The knucklecracker logo screens at the beginning of the CW games are actually making a live audio connection over the internet to a workstation that Virgil sits in front of with a microphone to provide the knuckle cracking sound completely 100% live for every startup of the game! Or at least, that's what I heard...
Shawn Asmussen

Clean0nion

Sometimes I repeatedly click the CW3 button when my computer's laggy. Sorry Virgil.

knucracker

That sound you hear on the company logo screen... it's not knuckles cracking, or even close.  I took a plastic bag (the kind cheap candy comes in) and bent it at a tight angle and snapped it to make the plastic pop.  I recorded this, then lowered the frequency, changed the speed, and added some bass.  It sounds like what you expect a knuckle cracking to sound like.  An actual knuckle crack doesn't really sound like this....

I learned this distinction by watching some TV show about sound effects and perception.

Clean0nion

Quote from: virgilw on November 19, 2013, 01:50:00 PM
That sound you hear on the company logo screen... it's not knuckles cracking, or even close.  I took a plastic bag (the kind cheap candy comes in) and bent it at a tight angle and snapped it to make the plastic pop.  I recorded this, then lowered the frequency, changed the speed, and added some bass.  It sounds like what you expect a knuckle cracking to sound like.  An actual knuckle crack doesn't really sound like this....

I learned this distinction by watching some TV show about sound effects and perception.
I feel betrayed. You better have an update coming soon.

I jest.

Jacobkolstad

I took a plastic bag (the kind cheap candy comes in) and bent it at a tight angle and snapped it to make the plastic pop.  I recorded this, then lowered the frequency, changed the speed, and added some bass.
XD
Where do you actually get the sounds for the blasters/mortars/bertha's etc?

Clean0nion

Quote from: Jacobkolstad on November 20, 2013, 04:36:04 AM
I took a plastic bag (the kind cheap candy comes in) and bent it at a tight angle and snapped it to make the plastic pop.  I recorded this, then lowered the frequency, changed the speed, and added some bass.
XD
Where do you actually get the sounds for the blasters/mortars/bertha's etc?
Those are actual knuckle cracks.

Kingo

I have one question...
Why did you use a plastic bag instead of actually cracking your knuckles? There probably is a knuckle-cracking sound effect online somewhere also.
It's more of a POP! then a !CRACK, I may add from personal experience. In fact, I cracked my knuckles while writing this :P

ThirdParty

Personally, I find the sound annoying.  I wish that if I had sound effects turned off in the settings, the opening screen also wouldn't make noise.

knucracker

Press ESC as soon as you see the splash screen.  It will dismiss, not sound will play, and you'll get into the game a couple seconds faster (assuming your machine is fast enough to have already finished initializing a few things).

pyaehtetaung

Quote from: virgilw on November 30, 2013, 09:33:38 AM
Press ESC as soon as you see the splash screen.  It will dismiss, not sound will play, and you'll get into the game a couple seconds faster (assuming your machine is fast enough to have already finished initializing a few things).
I don't know it before.
Thank for a tip.

DarthVader12

Is there anyway to implement left clicking on the intro screen to skip it like in CW 1?

Michionlion

esc skips the intro, Darth.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!