Jakeflee's maps

Started by jakeflee, December 04, 2013, 11:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeflee

map : Wave
Spoiler
This is my first map that I am publishing it uses a simple script to make the wave and might be challenging if completed could someone give me feedback?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit
I have made some changes to the map I have added friendly spores, enemy spores, an air exclusion zone, made it so the wave gets harder as it goes and I have taken the super reactor out to provide a more balanced map so good luck
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

latest 1.01: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14832.0;attach=16467

older versions:
Spoiler

beta.01 download link: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14832.0;attach=16455]

older versions:
Spoiler

action=dlattach;topic=14832.0;attach=16430]http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14832.0;attach=16430[/url]
script:
Spoiler
# Created on: 12/4/2013 6:33:59 PM
# ------------------------------------------
$creeperadded:10
$minterrain:5
$framedelay:10
$mincreeper:3
1 ->y
while <-y 256 lte
repeat
1 ->x
while <-x 256 lte
repeat

<-x <-y getterrain ->t
if(<-t <-minterrain lte <-t -1 gt and <-x <-y getcreeper <-mincreeper lte and)
<-x <-y <-creeperadded addcreeper
endif
<-x 1 add ->x
endwhile
<-y 1 add ->y
<-framedelay delay
endwhile
[close]
[close]
[close]

Altren

Well, I just played this map and was surprised how easy it was. With Terps there was no challenge at all. I'm not even sure if it was necessary to build many towers. Loads of free energy was odd as well.

I liked idea very much, but you should add some balance to all this. It seems that even without all this free energy at start map can be won without problems, just go straight to end and fill everything with buildings.

You also should look at J's maps in alpha sector, called Creeper Wall (part 1 use similar concept, but wall there move creeper and create new only at it's start). Wall there have much bigger height, so it actually can destroy your base, unlike wall in your map.

Otterbear

I LOVED it! It was nice to kill some Creeps for a change.  I took the option of TERP-ing the entire southern half of the map(to level 10),...so it took a while.

I'm not sure what all the Anti-Creeper was for. There seemed to be enough power to keep the Creeper at bay without it. HOWEVER, it did give you options if you wanted to use it. Not sure what you would do with it but, there it is.

Some critiques:

Size could be a bit smaller. (Computer started to slow up a bit in the end.)
Wish that higher terrain would stop the wave. I tried to build a wall to block it, but it just went under and kept going. I know that it wouldn't hurt you on higher terrain, but it would go behind that terrain and keep going. Kinda hoping we can change that.  Even if the Creeper would build up and eventually over-run the wall, it would give you a chance to use all the terrain behind it for other such. (Not that much other such is needed currently.) I may play around with this and see if I can use it as a template for person amusement maps.

PS: I'm keeping this map! (So, if you make any changes, I can still go back and smack some Creeps around.  ;D )

jakeflee

I didn't really get time to test it last night just enough to make sure the script worked and I know that the wave can get behind the base and break some stuff but it makes the creeper more like water, I guess I could make a smaller map. When I was testing the script on this map when the wave would hit something higher than level 7 I would sort of make a wave backwards from the direction that the wave is moving and after the wave filled the empty spaces on the map you couldn't tell where the wave was so I put the anti creeper in there to help players gauge where the wall should be. i should probably also change some of the other parameters like wind and creeper flow

Otterbear

Good idea for using the AC emitters to show the wave coming. I hadn't thought about that. It worked. Just wish I could have done something with all that AC. The wave just goes right through it of course.
PS: I loved the way the Wave would crash against my wall, and splash over just a bit. Looked realistic.

jakeflee

thanks I'll start working on balancing this one and making another hopefully with more scripts
p.s. I like programming its fun.

teknotiss

fun map, but a bit easy with an air assault  ;)
4 berthas, 4x18 strafers and a landing force of 6 guppies, 6 blasters, 2 mortars and 4 shields. my base was held with alternating mortars and blasters, plus i expanded it by 3 units width. this was overkill and i think i could do this map in <5 mins if i focused and played it a few times. prob won't though, since i'm looking forwards to some development of this one  :).
so do you want to know what i'd do to make this map harder?
Spoiler
some enemy emitters, not many just 4 or so along the top. or add an emitter script to the CRPL tower. some AEZ's over the CRPL, but not to big, this will force larger air assaults. some spores, just to slow the player setup. more AC at the base area to offset the added emitter if you add some.
[close]
still fun diversion and it was about 20 mins realtime for 10 game
cheers dude 8) make more maps

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

jakeflee

thanks for the suggestions i kind of thought the map was a little bare also so i will try to implement some of them asap

Otterbear

Quote from: teknotiss on December 05, 2013, 03:17:21 PM
fun map, but a bit easy with an air assault  ;)...

That is what I like most about this map. It gave you options.
Your ideas on improvements were good as well.

Miksu

I have to agree, it's way too easy with air assault, few strafers, bombers to give small protection, one sprayer, a shield, blasters and mortars with guppies and nullify that one lonely thing. :)

jakeflee

ok I have made some changes have fun :P

teknotiss

Quote from: jakeflee on December 08, 2013, 01:24:22 AM
ok I have made some changes have fun :P

well yes just a few  ;)
at 1:39 i was pretty sure my base was safe (see pic below)
i like the Aez addition, but removing all the free energy will make this a tricky/medium map for a lot of newer/slower players.
i'm not sure about the "helpful" spores, i suppose over time they will decrease the creeper, at 14:21 i haven't seen any enemy spores, didn't the text box say 3 mins? prob would have made a mess since i forgot to prepare for them. doesn't need them i'd say it's messy enough just claiming the totems
more fun this time, and a bit more grindy.
still sure i'll win  :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

jakeflee

hmm
maybe the enemy spores isn't working that's annoying ill try to get a fix up and running soon

jakeflee

Otterbear

I had to remove the AC spores code. (The sound was distracting, and my Beam Towers were attacking them. :( )

I didn't see that they were helping that much anyway. I haven't played it since I made the change. I guess I'll find out. :)