Custom Map #175: Dax's Battle

Started by AutoPost, September 10, 2011, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #175: Dax's Battle

Author: Garry 131

Desc:
Dax must fight off the creeper and waves of drones. Is there a way to survive the final drone onslaught? Will the mystery of this world somehow bring them closer to the truth of the fate of Aliana?

Karsten75

Really? Wow, why on earth would you make every emitter multiple-strength? I beat it, playing it during map approval, but after a little while I hated every minute of it. And then that final chamber with the 400 strength drones.. Ugh, not fun, man.

All I did was to build huge amounts of reactors and twisty pathways with anti-creeper to get the drones to stay away from the LS while my poor reactors and launchers got wiped out by huge numbers of your monsters.  Long after I've destroyed their gateway I was still battling the stupid drones. Of course, given the humongous size of your map, I was able to sustain a sufficient rate of energy well over 60 to power my weapons and to rebuild stuff as the drones wiped it out.

I hope you enjoyed playing this map. I didn't.

Kithros

Having a huge line of conversion bombs makes the inital drone rush easy to manage - that said, this map is very tedious mostly for the ridiculous size of the map (it could've easily been condensed into half it's current size) and awkward build directions. The arbitrary health changes on some of the buildings was pretty annoying also.

My time could easily be improved on - I didn't bother playing through it well because building as many reactors as I could on a map this big would be beyond annoying. I suspect it's possible to finish this map in under 8 minutes if one were to play it competitively.

burguertime

Quote from: Kithros on September 10, 2011, 01:24:12 PM
Having a huge line of conversion bombs makes the inital drone rush easy to manage

Is the conversion bomb the best block to let drones bash into?
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Kithros

Quote from: burguertime on September 11, 2011, 06:42:19 PM
Quote from: Kithros on September 10, 2011, 01:24:12 PM
Having a huge line of conversion bombs makes the inital drone rush easy to manage

Is the conversion bomb the best block to let drones bash into?

Yes - while the conversion bombs are detonating they do damage to the drones passing through them every frame until they've finished detonating, so a long line of conversion bombs will destroy all the drones outright (having a bit of anti-creeper helps by slowing down the drones too since they're fast drones)

DethbyIT

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 10, 2011, 12:15:45 PM

I hope you enjoyed playing this map. I didn't.

Quite frankly, neither did I.

I admire the fact that people will take the time to create maps, but 'slugging matches' really are only a test of patience - not skill.

The games I find to be the most fun involve trickery and some amount of skill and I hope that Garry 13 will use his talent to create some games along those lines.
dbit

garry131

Hi, I am glad that my map was approved!  I also agree with the observations, and comments.

and yes, one correct strategy would be twisty passages, with lasers, and reactors. I actually didn't use the conversion bombs, I should try it!

When I first broke into the chamber of drones, and saw how they were having their way with my setup, I was panicking. Oh no, their going to kill my ship for sure. (and they all went right past it)

So I watched them and saw better ways to make my tunnels so my lasers stayed alive much longer!

I found that this level has great replay value!!
just kidding, its tedious. I played it 8 times and got tired of it.

This level was supposed to foreshadow a future level where the styglek are so irritated that every emitter is 10, and all drones are 2000.

In reality I am glad to see all these comments, and for sure when I make another level, I will keep them in mind.