map editor update 354

Started by TheBuilder, January 21, 2010, 10:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBuilder

Virgil has released a 3rd update for the map editor, this one fixes minor bugs and adds an interesting option, emitters can now be set to zero, any creeper that is on them when they activate is imediately destroyed, all of it. the rate at which it does this is set by the interval, with that in mind they can be set to start destroying creeper later with the start time.

Looks like we got our bottomless pits, ;D , yet another way to add diversity to maps!

Thanks virgil!
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

NoobSauce

This is bizarre.  There is indeed a new map editor out...  but Virgil has said nothing.  Also apparently he is in the habit of replying when he stickies topics, which he didn't do to your topic...  I sure hope he's feeling ok.

This bottomless pit thing is...  odd.  It goes against my better judgment to have a creeper emitter (the larger ones of which are supposedly controlling the creeper and *are* the creeper, as of Loki [loki spoiler]) to simply destroy creeper without, like, sending the creeper somewhere else, or powering up other emitters...

This has amazing applications on a "flipside" creeper world, where you can absorb creeper to place new emitters and such, though.

Incidentally, if the color of the emitter changed based on how strong it was, then a black hole could genuinely be "black".

Though, high-power emitters would have to be either more blue than 255 or pure white.

BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

NoobSauce

(important enough to merit its own post)
Virgil has made emitters work so that it 'sets' the current creeper in the area to that number.

That's fine with numbers like 5, 6, etc. where the amount of creeper wouldn't logically be above that number, but creeper emitters with numbers like 1 are going to be seriously nerfed if there are other, 'bigger' emitters around.  Creepers in pools, especially, are going to have to be made differently.

Unintended Consequence?  Feature?  I'd like some input from an actual map developer (e.g. not me) on how emitters used to work, before map editor

(sorry about the multi-posting, I hit the wrong button at one point.  HKI error.)

Karsten75

Quote from: NoobSauce on January 22, 2010, 09:28:11 AM
This is bizarre.  There is indeed a new map editor out...  but Virgil has said nothing.  

I was wondering about this. There was a post in Suport board that said this fixed an error with loading images in the Apple environment. But then I looked in Announcements and found this thread. Somehow it didn't come up as new in my scan.

Quote from: NoobSauce on January 22, 2010, 09:50:00 AM
Virgil has made emitters work so that it 'sets' the current creeper in the area to that number.

That's fine with numbers like 5, 6, etc. where the amount of creeper wouldn't logically be above that number, but creeper emitters with numbers like 1 are going to be seriously nerfed if there are other, 'bigger' emitters around.  Creepers in pools, especially, are going to have to be made differently.

Unintended Consequence?  Feature?  I'd like some input from an actual map developer (e.g. not me) on how emitters used to work, before map editor

I'm not sure this is new behavior. I've seen mention of this and if you play the "Islands" custom map, the author already mentions (and relies) on this "feature."

Aurzel

noob it's always been like that, if you mean like for example an emitter set to one interval in a pool that's two levels high it wont go above 1 level and therefore wont overflow

NoobSauce

Ok.  So, then, the new map editor just allows you to set emitter intensity to 0?

Aurzel

Karsten75

Here's a relatively trivial map to demonstrate this new effect

knucracker

Yeah, not sure why my post to announcements didn't show up as unread.  I edited it to fix a typo right after posting it so maybe that hosed it somehow.

The map editor release was done mostly to fix the custom background bug on the mac... but I hated to put up a new map editor with just that one fix, so I added the zero creeper capability back.  The very original map editor actually let you set an emitter to zero, then I took it out.... now I've put it back once I realized that people actually liked the idea of making a creeper 'hole'.

Note that a creeper hole isn't as powerful as you might think.  It just zaps once single cell down to zero... which doesn't do as much as you might think.  Now you can create a whole line of them that can form a kind-of strange wall/fence... or you can put one at the end of a long single-cell wide corridor to absorb the creeper.  There may be other uses as well.  I don't expect them to feature in many maps or except maybe strange uses and cases.

Aurzel

it could be put under a very powerful emitter with a slow interval so that every now and then it zaps any creeper the emitter lets out it wouldnt make the job harder but it would sure confuse the player lol

NoobSauce

virgilw: The "strange uses" are what make the wiki (along with exceptionally popular maps).

I like using the dan-ball wiki as an example because of the similarity to this community.  Particularly interesting uses of the tools (movable lake for example) get their own page.

Kamron3

Actually, editing a post causes it to be posted as "Unread Post"

_k

Aurzel

no it doesnt, if you edit a post it still appears as unread if it's already been read