The darkness series

Started by betadata, December 28, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

betadata

I am enjoying these maps. but seem to have gotten stuck on #6 any pointers out there?

haloguy48

Can't remember the strategy I used on this, but give me a while and I'll post up some screenies and show you how I did it. Cant say I can give you one today as I have been working on 8, but I will be sure to get a guide up by as late as the 30th.

EDIT: I pulled it up in the editor it seems that part of the walls didn't actually have the lower ground as they were supposed to. Which lead to a much faster rush. This will be fixed and part 6 will be reposted.
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

betadata

I skipped six and went on to 7 rotflol. 7 lagged terrible. But I struggled through to get to the end  ;)

haloguy48

Quote from: betadata on December 28, 2009, 06:09:44 PM
I skipped six and went on to 7 rotflol. 7 lagged terrible. But I struggled through to get to the end  ;)

Sorry to hear 7 lagged. Was there just to much on the screen or what?
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
~Pew Pew Pew!~

betadata

I have had more on the screen at once before. I am not sure what causes the lag here. I have had it on other maps before. Might be all the path logic for the packets since there is alot of interconnected buildings???

knucracker

Did the lag go away after you moved the city to the center of the map and connected it to the buildings?  The reason I ask is that there is more computation involved when there are buildings on a network but there is no connection to the city.  This can drive up CPU usage a bit.

I don't see lag when I play (I usually also play at the default resolution), but the CPU usage is higher before I fly the city to the center of the screen.

Aurzel

why is that? i would have thought it would be less cpu ussage if there's a part of the network not connected to the city

knucracker

Structures try to traverse the node graph to find the shortest distance to the city.  When there is no way to the city, every node in the graph has to be traversed.  Every structure does this several times a second to establish connectivity or lack thereof.  When the city is part of the graph, not every node has to get traversed.  So the more paths there are, the higher the cpu hit whenver the city isn't connected.  Note that there can be a lot of nodes and connections on the graph, and the CPU hit isn't that large... it is just O(n) not O(ln(n)) performance when the city isn't connected.  Multi-core CPUs usually don't notice much of a hit since the graphic rendering is done on one core and the computation is done on another (at least in my experience).

betadata

Actually after a few attempts at defending the starting position I changed to moving the city to the center and that is when I got the most lag. The city moves real slow and the lag is present.  Yeah I know what the rules were.

haloguy48

Quote from: betadata on December 29, 2009, 10:26:32 AM
Actually after a few attempts at defending the starting position I changed to moving the city to the center and that is when I got the most lag. The city moves real slow and the lag is present.  Yeah I know what the rules were.

no problem with not moving the city, just cuss the General of the army says go there doesnt mean you have to =p replying to the top part of this, a new part 6 is on its way 100%. I feel horrible knowing I released a flawed version. Granted its just really hard, but it wasn't ment to be that hard.

I am planning on releasing it with part 8 which will hopefully be in a few hours.
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
~Pew Pew Pew!~

Kamron3

My CPU usage has gotten to 70% or so. Also around 200k memory usage.

_k

SPIFFEN

Is this the main thread for The darkness series ?

If so , wheres the pictures =P

Would be nice if someone post some pics or video soon ,
im having problems with some of the maps ;)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links