Suggestions after playing the demo

Started by Titanite Chunk, June 18, 2020, 09:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titanite Chunk

Howdy.

I just finished the last level of the demo for the second time, and I have some suggestions.

-Many times, I have wanted to zoom in on something, and I have scrolled the mouse wheel, just to see the camera lowering to ground level, instead of towards the point I want to see. I believe a camera style identical to the one seen in  the Supreme Commander series would be more than ideal for this game. How it works is that it zooms into your mouse, instead of lowering the camera position. Also, it zooms away from your mouse. In Supreme Commander, you can rely only on zooming in order to go anywhere on the map.  This game is pretty close, it already has a high enough zoom that you can see everything from it, but its missing that last push towards great control, in my opinion.

-It was very confusing for me knowing if something was connected to the grid or not. In CW3, it was obvious, since every conection was always displayed, but it seems this time around the focus is on only displaying the crucial connections. It's probably for a good reason that I am not seeing. Maybe clutter? But its not worth it in my opinion. It would be great if we could at least get a toggle for the option to show every connection.

-Are most sounds placeholder? It seems to me like bad things happening should sound "more bad", and viceversa. I have two main problems with sound communication:
              -Spores getting destroyed sound way too similar to spores landing and breaking things.
              -Buildings in construction being destroyed sound way too similar to buildings being finished.

-I would love to see the viscosity of creeper change between levels, or even between emitters. Right know, if a spawner is on a flat area, the creeper will reach higher levels before completely filling a lower one. I would like to see some mixing it up in that front. It would not neccesatily make thing easier or harder. With a very low viscosity, creeper would expand very quickly in the same level, but it would need to fill it up before continuing to rise. Maybe just give the option to easily change it in the map editor.

-Lastly, I miss having every building in a single tab. There doesnt seem to be that many more buildings compared to CW3, and those extra clicks every time you want to change from pilon to weapons are pretty annoying. Having those huge icons for each one doesnt seem to have a practical use as far as I can see, with them showing pretty basic info, and also only showing it while hovering the icon. Also, the info pannel for each structure coming up over the buttoms to switch tabs is pretty annoying. I would love to see either:
      -Buttons getting smaller and compiled into a single tab, with info appearing upon hovering them with the mouse for a few seconds.
      -Buttoms staying that big, but showing the info in the buttom itself, while also adding shortcuts to the 1-9 keys to kickly go between buildings. Maybe
       something like "Shift-1 to choose tab 1", "1 to choose building 1 in the current tab".

Okey thats it, thanks for reading. The game is fine as it is polish wise, but I think it's missing that extra little thing that would make it a great platform for map building, and eventually make CW3 obsolete. Right now, I see myself buying CW4, but eventually only returning to CW3.

miquelfire

There's already a toggle for the paths BTW. On the right, there's a visable (sic) button. In that menu you can turn on the paths to always be displayed.

WithersChat

Quote-Lastly, I miss having every building in a single tab.
They weren't in a single tab in CW3 neither,and many units are unusable in the Demo.
There is no signature!

Ninja

Quote from: Titanite Chunk on June 18, 2020, 09:27:22 AM
   -Many times, I have wanted to zoom in on something, and I have scrolled the mouse wheel, just to see the camera lowering to ground level, instead of towards the point I want to see. I believe a camera style identical to the one seen in  the Supreme Commander series would be more than ideal for this game. How it works is that it zooms into your mouse, instead of lowering the camera position. Also, it zooms away from your mouse. In Supreme Commander, you can rely only on zooming in order to go anywhere on the map.  This game is pretty close, it already has a high enough zoom that you can see everything from it, but its missing that last push towards great control, in my opinion.
Personally, I mostly like the camera controls as they are, but I do think adding this as an option would be a great idea. Additionally, unless I just didn't see it, I'd love the ability to tilt my camera up and down regardless of what zoom I'm at, and/or the option to disable the camera auto-tilting when you zoom in.